I Lubed my brakes :(

G00SE

So the other day I was bust cleaning my chain with muc off chain cleaner. As a beginner with spray on chain cleaner, I inadvertantly got some on my rotor, which then transferred onto the pads.

I have tried cleaning the pads and rotor with petrol, but i still have f#&k all braking power on the rear.

My question is:

is there a way to remedy this, or do I need to replace the pads?

would appreciate any advice..

Take some 90grit sand paper and a scrubbing brush with handy Andy

1st, use the handy Andy on the pads and scrub like your balls are in vice for about 5 min.

2nd use the sand paper lightly to remove the top layer from the pads, make sure you scrub the disc rotors with handy Andy as well.

Should be ok after that if not new pads are the way to go

When I was still at school and stupid my disc brakes were touching. I though. WD40 would fix this noise. It worked a charm. For the noise that is. The braking efficiency was ZERO ZULCH NADA NOTHING.

So what I did was put the pads in petrol (AVGAS) for an hour or two. Then I baked them in the oven at 220 degrees for about 30min. Did this twice and I was back to having working brakes.

Keep us posted on your progress you making in this regard!

When I was still at school and stupid my disc brakes were touching. I though. WD40 would fix this noise. It worked a charm. For the noise that is. The braking efficiency was ZERO ZULCH NADA NOTHING.

So what I did was put the pads in petrol (AVGAS) for an hour or two. Then I baked them in the oven at 220 degrees for about 30min. Did this twice and I was back to having working brakes.

Keep us posted on your progress you making in this regard!

Just remember to first wash the petrol of before heating it up to 220 'C!! haha

This might sound quite meek after reading about ovens, petrol and sand paper: but have you tried Power Brake Cleaner (Motorex).

I was able to get some greasy stuff off my rotors with that.

So the other day I was bust cleaning my chain with muc off chain cleaner. As a beginner with spray on chain cleaner, I inadvertantly got some on my rotor, which then transferred onto the pads.

I have tried cleaning the pads and rotor with petrol, but i still have f#&k all braking power on the rear.

My question is:

is there a way to remedy this, or do I need to replace the pads?

would appreciate any advice..

Happened to me once.. Use Coke to clean the oil off the pads, should do the trick

remember to clean the rotors after putting all that effort into the pads....

Edited by ichnusa

Thanks for all the replies. I will try your solutions, starting with the easiest first, and see how far I get before my patience runs out :) Failing that I will take braailegend's advice and chuck the pads...

remember to clean the rotors after putting all that effort into the pads....

Yeah, will do. It would suck to put those nicely cleaned, or brand new pads on, only to re-contaminate them with dirty disks.

If they are sintered pads the baking trick can work, but I once did it with resin pads and I think I baked the resin out of them because they became brittle and crumbled while riding. Or they were just cheap low quality brake pads.

If they are sintered pads the baking trick can work, but I once did it with resin pads and I think I baked the resin out of them because they became brittle and crumbled while riding. Or they were just cheap low quality brake pads.

Interesting! I think they are sintered, but I'm not sure. They are Juicy 3's.

Why didn't to just join strava.com????????????

Huh???

I have strava on my iphone, but I dont see how it would have helped prevent me getting chain cleaner on my brakes?