Touch up paint for bikes

Mojoman

I have noticed the paint work on my Ghost is chipping pretty easily, I have mailed Ballistic who bring in Ghost and again it looks as though I am on my own with this. The guy recommends using nail varnish so I will have to take the bike to the salon where my poppie gets her nail varnish to get some colour matches! (colours are black, blue and white)

I am pretty suprised that for the price I paid for this Ghost dont supply small vials of touch up paint.

My 3 year old, 14,000km well hammered GT has a fair better paint job and it cost me half as much! The paint has chipped but its tiny marks compared to the large chips that are appearing on the Ghost.

Is it the same with all brands or do some brands have the foresight to include a small paint touch up kit?

I realise the bike will get marked but if the paint is going to chip like this then surely its a manufacturers problem as maybe the paint was not properly cured or something?

My next bike will be just one color like my GT!

post-12678-0-09438800-1352876843_thumb.jpg

How old is your bike - I know some manufacturers have a 1-year guarantee on their paint - but ja hey, my bike is less than a month old and I feel teary eyed every time I notice a new nick or scratch. Perhaps if you annoy them enough they'll send you a bottle of touch-up.

I went to a local printing shop and bought a sheet of clear vinyl to cover my down tube, chain stays and everywhere else I can foresee problems (cable rub etc.). Hopefully it will protect the paint for a while.

The funny thing is that I know that re-spraying your bike can invalidate your warranty. So it’s a bit of a no win situation.

Those small tins of model paint come in thousands of colours. I rekon you will get one that pretty darn close. I used one to airbrush over a large scratch on an old bike. You couldn't even tell is was scratched.

How old is your bike - I know some manufacturers have a 1-year guarantee on their paint - but ja hey, my bike is less than a month old and I feel teary eyed every time I notice a new nick or scratch. Perhaps if you annoy them enough they'll send you a bottle of touch-up.

I went to a local printing shop and bought a sheet of clear vinyl to cover my down tube, chain stays and everywhere else I can foresee problems (cable rub etc.). Hopefully it will protect the paint for a while.

The funny thing is that I know that re-spraying your bike can invalidate your warranty. So it’s a bit of a no win situation.

The bike is 2 months old. While I understand there will be marks etc, what is worrying is the way the paint chips off in large sections straight down to the aluminium as opposed to small little nicks in the clear coat and base. Personally I think its just a poor paint job. The paint does not chip away like this on the GT.

Isnt it just? Thats a Crapberry for you!

Don't blame the tool. cool.png

My new Giant has got more chips that my wifes "old" Spez. Not impressed.

Mate of mine had a Spez stumpy where the paint "bubbled" on the frame after 3 months from new. Spez said "We're very sorry. It is a QC issue on our side; here's a new frame for you. Whoops, sorry, no alu frames in your size, will you accept carbon?"

Needless to say, he'll be a Spez rider for life.