Full suspension bike, up to 25k

Craigwt

This Anthem vs Trance thing is something I have thought over a bit...

I used to have a Giant VT-2 (something in between a current Trance / Reign) as my first bike - also a real classic bike. Really enjoyed the bike and got some of my best results in marathons and half-marathons on the bike. I knew nothing better and just raced as fast as I can. I felt really comfortable most of the time and had confidence going downhill.

The bike got stolen and I replaced it with an anthem X2 (or one with XT spec, but silver frame). Also a really legendary bike that got really good reviews all over the web. I really good budget fs xc bike. I reasoned that for the training and racing you do most of the time in Gauteng - you don't need a big trail bike or in the VT's case a big all-mountain bike...I wanted something quicker and lighter...

I am still happy with the Anthem.

But...I definitely don't have the same confidence going downhill - maybe I am just getting old - but I think the geometry is less inspiring, it feels way easier to go over the handle bars. The bike is quick, but I am not getting drastically better results - it is only really quicker in the straight jeep track and very tight single track (often a mess in races any way), but I sorta take the same approach climbing (it is lighter, but I spin up at gradual pace any way) and downhill/technical stuff I am slower/chicken out more...It was fine for the one 3-day stage race I did, but my ass did suffer on that very racy seat (since replaced it with Gobi). It is an awesome bike for the Nissan series and doing half-marathons.

I think it really depends on the riding you do and what your priorities are...I think my next Giant will be a Trance. (I think a Reign is overkill for Gauteng).

Edited by VT-2

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic