No CSA license covered by PPA membership for 99er

walkerr

So a once of payment to the CSA of R75 and you have a CSA license?

Do you need to belong to a club to be able to apply to get the license?

Will the PPA prices decrease seeing that they don't cover the CSA license any more.

People always confuse themselves with the word "license"

The R75 you pay is for yearly membership and you do not need to belong to a club for this yearly membership

Race "License" is needed when riding UCI sanctioned events or Nationals or Provincials - R350

(You dont need a Race "License" when joining Pansy during his k@kpraat ride or if you are part of the PPA alphabet soup)

You must first be a member of CSA before you can apply for a Race License.

The confusion comes in with .... "Day License" ... they should have just called it Day Membership or something else!

Edit: Added info about Pansy's ride

Edited by Tankman

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People always confuse themselves with the word "license"

The R75 you pay is for yearly membership and you do not need to belong to a club for this yearly membership

Race "License" is needed when riding UCI sanctioned events or Nationals or Provincials - R350

You must first be a member of CSA before you can apply for a Race License.

The confusion comes in with .... "Day License" ... they should have just called it Day Membership or something else!

Intreresting - I think I can see what the R350 might cover, if it's part of racing in UCI affiliate events.

But what then does the R35 day or R75 year license provide, or funds get used for if they aren't actually a part of the full racing aspect.

http://gosouthonline.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Zuma-Nkandla-550.jpg

Sadly as I feared, but thanks for the graphic proof ;)

Intreresting - I think I can see what the R350 might cover, if it's part of racing in UCI affiliate events.

But what then does the R35 day or R75 year license provide, or funds get used for if they aren't actually a part of the full racing aspect.

They pick teams for World Champs. The wrong teams.

I agree on all of the above - but what does CSA actually add to the event, apart from a R35 cost? I have no issue with the price for the event itself, or the quality of the event. But CSA's tax on it? Hmmmm, that makes me less happy with no clear understanding how that money helps improve cycling in SA or future events

Hot... or cold :) off the press... read all about it...

http://www.cyclingsa.com/governance.aspx#36

Hot... or cold smile.png off the press... read all about it...

http://www.cyclingsa...ernance.aspx#36

Thanks for the link.

Seems the position of CEO for the WC is vacant, which made me smile:

http://www.cyclingsa.com/Article.aspx?uid=1131

I also enjoyed the last paragraph in the CEOs roles and responsibilities:

Cycling SA needs much exposure amongst the everyday cyclist. To this end you will be responsible for reintroducing Cycling SA to the cyclist so that he/she can identify with the Federation and understand the dynamics involved in this sport. Thus you will be responsible for marketing and public relations projects and communications not only with the public but also the various controlling bodies.

They got that part right!

I also liked the Events page:

http://csams.cyclingsa.com/event-calendar.aspx

Despite the R35 day license, they don't list the 99er as an event. And if you click on the Enter event link:

http://csams.cyclingsa.com/enter-an-event.aspx

the list under ROAD is looking quite empty.

Hmmmm - is that really all we should expect from the all encompassing guardian of cycling in SA. Sorry, R75 was it you wanted?

All this moaning and gnashing of teeth about R35? Or even a yearly R75 membership fee?

Look, I get it, life's expensive, inflation, kids car, etc. etc. But seriously? R35? How much did you pay for your last set of tyres? How much did you spend on Gu/GI32/(insert supplement) here last week?

Every sport has costs associated with it. In my mind, after you've paid for your bike and gear, cycling's costs are minimal when compared to some other sports.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think that in terms of value for money most of the cycling events (whether CSA or PPA) rate pretty well.

Full disclosure: I'm a CSA and PPA member and I've already entered :)

I agree on the R35 or R75 part - compared to what we spend on bikes etc, it's not that much. If you multiply it across all of us that are paying it - someone is putting a fair chunk of our cash into an account somewhere. It's a tax - we don't get to opt out of it if we want to ride those events, so what are we getting for it and where is it going?

I belong to a club - and pay an annual fee there. I can see what I get for it. They organise events, setup DC teams, negotiate with farms and build MTB trails (quite literally with guys from the club with chainsaws and shovels).

I belong to the PPA - and pay their fee. Not quite to the same degree as my club, but I can still see to an extent where that money goes and how it benefits the sport I love.

Now the CSA want a slice of the cake too - so I have to belong to a 3rd organisation to enjoy the most out of my cycling. But I'm very unclear what this 3rd org is doing, aside from skimming some cream.

Now the CSA want a slice of the cake too - so I have to belong to a 3rd organisation to enjoy the most out of my cycling. But I'm very unclear what this 3rd org is doing, aside from skimming some cream.

Sure, I agree, it sucks. I'd like to know too. Would it stop me from entering the event as the OP intimated? No.

I think that paying R235 is ridiculously good value for money when you take into consideration what you're getting for that amount of money.

Sure, I agree, it sucks. I'd like to know too. Would it stop me from entering the event as the OP intimated? No.

I think that paying R235 is ridiculously good value for money when you take into consideration what you're getting for that amount of money.

Not convinced on the value for money part - the Tour de PPA is a week earlier, and follows a very similar route. I'd guess entry to that will be around the R120 mark, for an organised timed cycle event, with support and marshals.

So, can anybody get any info on what the CSA do with our money?

How do you think the Business Class tickets to the Olympics and Worlds? And 3 week summer holiday in France in July?

Not convinced on the value for money part - the Tour de PPA is a week earlier, and follows a very similar route. I'd guess entry to that will be around the R120 mark, for an organised timed cycle event, with support and marshals.

Guess it's a matter of perspective. I used to play golf and my monthly membership fees were more than 3 times what I pay on a yearly basis for cycling membership fees.

A "cheap" Saturday's golf costs in the region of R300 - R350 and there aren't any marshals or pretty girls handing out medals when you finish.

Guess it's a matter of perspective. I used to play golf and my monthly membership fees were more than 3 times what I pay on a yearly basis for cycling membership fees.

A "cheap" Saturday's golf costs in the region of R300 - R350 and there aren't any marshals or pretty girls handing out medals when you finish.

Yeah - I do actually agree with you that the sums of money we're talking about aren't that huge, especially if you compare with other sports.

I just have an active hatred of any govt (or other) body that muscles it's way into a sport, hobby etct and imposes "fees" just because it can get away with it, and not because it adds significant value to the sport.

off topic a bit - but are the entries open for 99er? If so link please?

R235 or not, I'm entering - just want to ride my bicycle!w00t.gif