Bent wheel and noisy pedal

katotter

So I have been riding for a few weeks with my Silverback Vida 3 (2013) and progress is great.

I did my first long ride (+-30km) on a nice stretch of tarmac, a lot of level sections, but mostly up- and downhill.

As I am driving along, peddling hard on the uphill sections, my left pedal (I suspect its the left one) makes a 'clicking' noise as I step on it hard, almost as if it's not aligned properly. I do not know how to check what is wrong. The pedals are the ones coming with the standard bike, so might it be I need to get better quality ones?

As for the rear wheel, it started making a screeching noise, only now and then, but when I started heading back home and give it the beans on the flat sections it started to become more clear and sounded more harsh, as I looked down I see the wheel is warping, only slightly, but it is. It might have been like this from the day I got it, but I never rode it hard enough to see the flaw, or I could have bent it in my noob state.

Now I have not taken the bike offroad, but I do endure about 200m of grondpad from my house to the tarmac. Can the pedal and wheel be poked from this? If I had to estimate, I have not done 500km's on the bike.

I cannot take it to where I bought it as I have no means of loading the bike, it was delivered to my house. And sending off the poked bits will render me bikeless.

TIA

Wouter

Wheel...might be the bearings

Pedal... WD32

I am no expert, but it does not sound like bearings, it only makes the noise once the bend part passes a certain point.

And what is WD32 blush.png

check that the pedals are tight in the cranks...left one reverse thread

Thanks, will do this as soon as I get home.

Are you riding with clipless pedals (they are called clipless, but they actually have clips that your shoes attach to)? That clicking sound is often due to a "loose" or even worn cleat on your shoe

If not, it is possible that the stock pedal (which is normally a cheap brand) has picked up a bit of dirt and it just needs a squirt of lube.

I have exactly the same issue! I have had my bike with many experts and they cant find the issue! Replaced pedals, replaced bb set, head set, it just does not stop! I have redone my saddle post and added carbon paste, new saddle thing ontop where the saddle gets attached to the seat post, stil, no success. I am in utter disgust! I have a Argon 18 Gallium Pro 2012 model with FSA Crank Set and Look Blade Pedals.

Katotter do you still have that plastic ring attached to the cassette, if so I suspect it could be that.

Check that the skewer is tight and wheel with skewer solid in place.

Check that the screetch is not your disk brake pad rubbing against your rotor (this happened to me a few times).

I have exactly the same issue! I have had my bike with many experts and they cant find the issue! Replaced pedals, replaced bb set, head set, it just does not stop! I have redone my saddle post and added carbon paste, new saddle thing ontop where the saddle gets attached to the seat post, stil, no success. I am in utter disgust! I have a Argon 18 Gallium Pro 2012 model with FSA Crank Set and Look Blade Pedals.

Check your rear hub, I think it needs some lubrication.

If you go hard the wheel will warp enough to touch -- or nearly touch -- the brakes. That's normal.

Grondpad doesn't hurt a bike, but the bike gets dirtier and dirt can make noise. Wash it. You get a noise: wash first, then check if everything is tight (pedal, skewer, ...) (tight ... not stripped the moer out of it.) Especially on a new bike or recently serviced bike.

Check the skewers and pedals asap as it's a safety issue.

Eliminate if possible: swap the wheel with a buddy's wheel. Does the noise travel with the wheel or the bike? Standing or seated?

I once had some noise that turned out to be dirt between the rear derailleur hanger and the frame. Removed the hanger, cleaned it, replaced it, and the noise was gone. That wasn't easy to find.

If you go hard the wheel will warp enough to touch -- or nearly touch -- the brakes. That's normal.

Grondpad doesn't hurt a bike, but the bike gets dirtier and dirt can make noise. Wash it. You get a noise: wash first, then check if everything is tight (pedal, skewer, ...) (tight ... not stripped the moer out of it.) Especially on a new bike or recently serviced bike.

Check the skewers and pedals asap as it's a safety issue.

Eliminate if possible: swap the wheel with a buddy's wheel. Does the noise travel with the wheel or the bike? Standing or seated?

I once had some noise that turned out to be dirt between the rear derailleur hanger and the frame. Removed the hanger, cleaned it, replaced it, and the noise was gone. That wasn't easy to find.

I have disc brakes on, so the noise is not from here, I have had dirt in it, not the same noise. I get the noise from the wheel both seated and standing, its more frequent at high speeds as the wheel is turning faster. I hear it under load and while freeing. The peddles is noisy only under load, and sometimes not, I am starting to think it might be the axes of the pedal thats not aligned or bearings poked. I will swop the wheel out with my wife's bike as we have the same ones and see if the noise stays or goes away. I am currently busy organizing a bike rack for my car to take it into the workshop I bought it from in Nelspruit, according to another customer of theirs the first service is for free and sorts these type of issues out. I did not ride today as the weather is not favour able. I will try to get a ride in tomorrow morning and see what is what.

its the bearings...i have had to change mine numerous times on the mavic slrs

Will a worn bearing cause it to wobble like that? Or is it both poked bearing and buckled?