newbie looking to start MTB

juventino7704

Hi guys and girls,

Looking to get into mountain biking and need advice on what MTB to look at.

Have a budget of R5000-R5500 and don't want to go to a bike shop and get screwed to put it lightly cos someone wants to make a quick sale.

I went passed a shop today and was shown the Scott Aspect 640 and the Giant Revel 0 which were almost same price.

Are they a good start or are there other Mtb's I should be looking at?

Appreciate all the help and thanks in advance.

Cheers

Why not get yourself a 2nd hand bike first you should be able to pick up sonmething quite decent within your budget. Remember this is a game of constant upgrading you will quickly realise what kit works for you or not. But a good 2nd hand bike allows you to start with something quite reasonable which makes the initial experience so much more enjoyable.

Thanks for the reply, where could I look at getting a good 2nd hand bike from?

Anything in particular I should look out for?

Its already difficult to look at buying new how do you know what to look at in the 2nd hand market.

this is the problem.

if you really get into it and enjoy riding, then you will end up frustrated with a R5k bike after a year and you will start saving for something really nice. So in 12 - 18 monthgs from now, its likely that you would have spent R20k or more by buying a R5k bike and one year later a R15k + bike.

I've seen it happen to many people, so don't fall into the same trap. Maybe borrow a bike / buy second hand until you know whether you enjoy the sport / lifestyle enough, and then save for a bike that you want to ride.

I started out, not so long ago buying a cheap bike not knowing what I really needed, and too quickly bought a second bike and on the 3rd go I got what I wanted needed.

Having said that i am glad I bought a cheapie first, I should have waited longer with the second, but those two bikes showed me what I was looking for and made the 15 k I spend on my current bike very worthwhile.

So If your absolute top end is 5 or 6 go ahead and get a bike, you will figure if you really enjoy the sport( you will ) and what your next bike should be.

Bear in mind you have to still get a decent helmet, gloves and a pair of riding shorts or two. Pump, multitool and possibly a computer.

Look at the Silverbacks and the Titan range, both good value for money.

Make sure somebody ar the LBS can fit it well for you, good fit on a cheap bike is better than a crap fit on a good bike imho.

Read this as well

http://surlybikes.com/blog/post/some_answers_to_just_about_any_bike_forum_post_ive_ever_read

Most important get on a bike and start riding, you WILL have fun.

Dont sweat the cleats vs no cleats, SLX vs Vs XT vs XTR, tubeless vs tubes, air shock vs preload etc issues for now, get on the bike and. Enjoy it

Edited by Kanga