Keeping lights on for safety

Chatman

For the first time in many months I rode without my lights this past Sunday. I simply forgot to put them on and was too lazy to turn back a few hundred metres to go fetch them. I reckoned it would be Ok because most of my route would be on the Cycle path - you guessed right - I got within a hairs breadth of getting taken out by a car in the Salt River circle. The driver was very apologetic and said he simply didn't see me, all dressed up in my 6 foot 1 of the brightest red you've seen in your life - and making eye contact with him (I thought). I did a spectacular sideways back wheel slide and ended up doing a track stand in the middle of the circle with my nose 6 inches from the drivers'. I won't venture onto the road again, even in bright sunshine, without my flashing lights front and back! If I could have a huge neon sign shouting "SEE ME, I WANT TO STAY ALIVE" that is light enough and aero enough, I would put that on my head too, but for now, the flashing lights will be mandatory for me!

I find the Ryder LR45 Tail light to be very bright on the flashing mode - and its about R 100.

I can see my parents cycling ahead quite easily, even in the day time.

Sportsman's Warehouse had these for under R100. Bright enough and worth every penny.

This one

post-37059-0-23610600-1375517510_thumb.jpg