Pinarello, fake or real?

BradleydT

How do you know that the 2nd hand Pinarello is fake?

I am a complete fan ever since the Indurain reign. I would love to start builing one up, but with all these fongkong frames, how can I tell the difference

How do you know that the 2nd hand Pinarello is fake?

I am a complete fan ever since the Indurain reign. I would love to start builing one up, but with all these fongkong frames, how can I tell the difference

The frame should have a serial number.... you can call the distributors to verify it.

Okay, there are fakes, and their are originals. But can anyone explain wtf a genuine replica is? As replica is a copy of a original, true or genuine article. and Genuine means the real article, so is it a real copy of a real article? and how does that differ from a copy (or fake) of the real article?

Maybe a genuine replica is a authorised copy of the real thing. But how can a bike be a copy of a bike? A bike is a real object. If a make 100 or 1000 precisely specced bicycles each one of them is the real thing, the genuine article, so why would I then make another 100 precisely the same and certify them "genuine replica's". If the bike is the same as the team bike then should is be marketed as the team bike? Why build some form of philosophical distance been one bike and another bike which is precisely the same?

Have we become so condiioned to believe that we must replicate our "hero's" to such a point that we claim a higher status by having a "replica" of their lives (or at least an icon of that life in the form of a bike that replicates, but is not the "Same"). Why can we not just be content to buy a bike that has the same speccs and be done with?

Maybe I need to read Umberto Eco's faith in fakes again.

Edited by Witkop

The earlier fake models used a round seat post (the real Dogmas have an oval shaped seat post). I have heard (not sure if it is true or not) that the newer fake models have a seat post identical to the original.

There is another thread on fake models sold on Gumtree and somebody posted the tell tail signs of the fakes. I'm you will find it if you do a search.