MTB Conti Hometrainer vs Slick on IDT

Cuppa Bru

Finally ordered IDTs for myself and my girlfriend! :clap:

I've set aside Conti Leader Tyres that ground themselves into slicks with minimal effort for use on the IDT.

But now I see Conti have a Hometrainer in a MTB-friendly 26"x1.75.

Has anyone tried the Hometrainer in 26"?

Is it better (quieter and less likely to slip) than a slick or worn-out MTB tyre?

I get that it's cheaper to recycle used tyres, but all this "cold-running rubber compound" and "designed for IDT" science makes it seem as though the Conti Hometrainers might be superior.

Yep, been using this exact one in 26" size for a while. Have done around 1,000+ k's and it is the business ... quiet, sticky, runs cool, wears well - everything you want.

Definitely recommend this.

I've set aside Conti Leader Tyres that ground themselves into slicks with minimal effort for use on the IDT.

Is it better (quieter and less likely to slip) than a slick or worn-out MTB tyre?

I get that it's cheaper to recycle used tyres, but all this "cold-running rubber compound" and "designed for IDT" science makes it seem as though the Conti Hometrainers might be superior.

Dude, even worn down MTB tires make an almighty racket on a trainer. Go for the trainer specific tyres. Seriously.

Easy, peasy decision? Done! Two Hometrainers in 26"x1.75 :)

I'm sure having a 1.75 wide tyre also helps with traction on the IDT compared to normal slicks.

And the extra width helps disperse heat better across the tyre's surface area.

Dude, even worn down MTB tires make an almighty racket on a trainer. Go for the trainer specific tyres. Seriously.

Tried a MTB on one of CycleLab's CycleOps Jet Fluids...was stupid loud, but the knobblies were still 100%, so I (wrongly) assumed a DIY slick would do the job.

Easy, peasy decision? Done! Two Hometrainers in 26"x1.75 :)

I'm sure having a 1.75 wide tyre also helps with traction on the IDT compared to normal slicks.

And the extra width helps disperse heat better across the tyre's surface area.

Strangely, you actually NEED the heat for the trainer to work properly.

I get that it's cheaper to recycle used tyres, but all this "cold-running rubber compound" and "designed for IDT" science makes it seem as though the Conti Hometrainers might be superior.have had a Conti for some time and works like a charm. Mine is bright orange but I think they do come in other colours

Oops ! Apologies did something wrong!

The point...... I have used a Conti for some time and it works. Bright orange but quiet and long lasting.

Strangely, you actually NEED the heat for the trainer to work properly.

But the heat mustn't reach a stage where the rubber forms nice pearls like on a Formula 1 track after the straights...or some of the pictures of bad batches of Tacx/Conti Hometrainer tyres.

There's not much to go on except that I trust Conti and I trust big wheels for grip, so I'm biting the bullet and going with 2 x Conti Hometrainers :D

But the heat mustn't reach a stage where the rubber forms nice pearls like on a Formula 1 track after the straights...or some of the pictures of bad batches of Tacx/Conti Hometrainer tyres.

There's not much to go on except that I trust Conti and I trust big wheels for grip, so I'm biting the bullet and going with 2 x Conti Hometrainers :D

Yeah.