Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

That specific line is maybe 200m long, but with 4 jumps, one nice drop-off and two lekker berms it's great to just do over and over again to hone some basic skills and build confidence without risking serious injury.

Where in Paarl is this?

Ha. Whatsapp counts as written consent. I just want to warn you. (And anyone else coming) This trip is like eating the red pill in the Matrix.

Your ENTIRE outlook on trails and Mountain biking WILL change forever.

The bank and saving plan looks promising :clap:

Pencil me in and I will try get the cash together :thumbup:

Guest Omega Man

The bank and saving plan looks promising :clap:

Pencil me in and I will try get the cash together :thumbup:

Sweet. Remember. Y'all gots ta pay before you is booked.

Where in Paarl is this?

It's in the lower mountain above Courtrai. I think the gap jump that has fallen into disrepair, and thus we built a berm on, was part of an extended DH run long ago perhaps.

But trust me it's seriously chilled line for us amateurs to train on. I don't think the DH peeps will even bother riding it, which also works for me. Their bikes are so heavy you know :whistling:

Guest Omega Man

It's in the lower mountain above Courtrai. I think the gap jump that has fallen into disrepair, and thus we built a berm on, was part of an extended DH run long ago perhaps.

But trust me it's seriously chilled line for us amateurs to train on. I don't think the DH peeps will even bother riding it, which also works for me. Their bikes are so heavy you know :whistling:

Oh ok I think I know where you are talking about.

Oh ok I think I know where you are talking about.

I wonder if some repairs are going to be done to the DH run after all this rain. Those steep rock gardens are now basically a rut-a-thon of death.

Guest Omega Man

I wonder if some repairs are going to be done to the DH run after all this rain. Those steep rock gardens are now basically a rut-a-thon of death.

Get your spade out boy.

Get your spade out boy.

No, I'll happily help, but I don't want to f*** with lines and obstacles people might have put there for a reason. I don't know what it needs to be fixed.

Guest Omega Man

No, I'll happily help, but I don't want to f*** with lines and obstacles people might have put there for a reason. I don't know what it needs to be fixed.

I think the only oke doing anything there anymore is stefan garlicke.

Ha. Whatsapp counts as written consent. I just want to warn you. (And anyone else coming) This trip is like eating the red pill in the Matrix.

Your ENTIRE outlook on trails and Mountain biking WILL change forever.

This is exactly what concerns me!

I have been slowly starting to take more interest in this thread from zero to the point where I'm getting really keen on signing up.

However I would need to:

1. Offload my Joberg2c entry for next year. That will provide the finance.

2. Acquire a bike more suited for the territory, plus some of the other essential extras.

3. Upgrade my riding skills in a big way.

These can probably be taken care of in the months ahead. But I'm concerned about if or how I would get excited about riding the spruit and doing trailseekers afterwards :unsure:

I think the only oke doing anything there anymore is stefan garlicke.

The uncle who did some tree felling at my place recently and his son (apparently big in DH scene) do a bit of work there too so I'll chat to them.

I have been slowly starting to take more interest in this thread from zero to the point where I'm getting really keen on signing up.

However I would need to:

2. Acquire a bike more suited for the territory, plus some of the other essential extras.

These can probably be taken care of in the months ahead. But I'm concerned about if or how I would get excited about riding the spruit and doing trailseekers afterwards :unsure:

Hahaha, valid point!

Well Peach, Super_mil and myself have done the Morzine DH thing.

Whilst it does make you realize how much SA lacks, we still enjoy the spruit... just a different aspect of it... dirt jumps :)

Oh, but yeah, since my Morzine trip last year, I haven't bothered to enter another trail seeker :ph34r: :lol:

Guest Omega Man

However I would need to:

In my experience it's gone one of 2 ways. Guys come back and they pretty much stop riding altogether. Or. They come back and they are more amped than ever to ride. Fortunately it's been the 2nd for me. It seems to be a maturity/age thing. The lighties tend to cut back on their riding severly. Although this might also be coupled with their discovery/fascination with certain bits of female anatomy. :whistling:

And the older okes get more amped to ride.

You WILL get PMD tho. (Post Morzine Depression) Oh also. You don't need to be a mega skilled rider to go and have a blast.

Edited by Omega Man

The lighties tend to cut back on their riding severly. Although this might also be coupled with their discovery/fascination with certain bits of female anatomy. :whistling:

Not applicable in my case! Me - old geezer, married. Oh that reminds me:

Point no 4: Negotiate a pink pass. How did I forget that one? :eek:

Whilst it does make you realize how much SA lacks, we still enjoy the spruit... just a different aspect of it... dirt jumps :)

Oh, but yeah, since my Morzine trip last year, I haven't bothered to enter another trail seeker :ph34r: :lol:

Looks like good fun, but it's out of my league. One day, maybe. Happy to hit the small ones for now.

Guest Omega Man

Not applicable in my case! Me - old geezer, married. Oh that reminds me:

Point no 4: Negotiate a pink pass. How did I forget that one? :eek:

I've said it before. Wives want their husbands to be happy. I think you'll be surprised. Of course negotiating subsequent trips will prove more difficult.