Hand Sprain - Recovery time?

So severely sprained my hand a few weeks ago in a silly fall while MTB'ing.

Just wondering how long the healing process should take? The swelling has gone down a bit but the range of motion is still impaired and the slightest bump brings tears to my eyes (well almost).

Anyone else had a similar injury?

Ja similar, was on the left cusion of left hand. Takes about 4-6 weeks depending on how bad it is. It is a slow process. Hands very complex. Use lots of anti inflammatory drugs for the first 5-7 days, then stop all the pills. Nothing. Sounds like you are out of the 7 days period so all you can do is rest the hand.

Maybe take in some extra protein, glutamine or w/e for recovery, don't know if it will work though.

Good luck, a hand is a bugger.

Sounds like you should get it xrayed if it is still swollen after a few weeks - lots of small bones in the wrist that break/crack fairly easily - couple of them do not heal well at all, as the blood supply is pretty minimal.

Thanks - yip it is a bugger!

Keep forgetting that it's sprained and then go and shake someone's hand :blush:

Sounds like you should get it xrayed if it is still swollen after a few weeks - lots of small bones in the wrist that break/crack fairly easily - couple of them do not heal well at all, as the blood supply is pretty minimal.

Thanks - waiting for the GP to phone me back to ask him the same question. Had an X-ray after the fall and nothing broken but GP did say that the smaller fractures might only appear after 7-10 days

Correct - smaller cracks and fractures are notoriously difficult to see, and sometimes easier after a week or 2 - use your fingers to isolate to specific pain location and get them to check that area again.

Get one of those neoprene wrist guards from Dischem. Helps a lot. If it is more severe you can get the canvas one with a rod in it.

Just spoke to GP - says it's still in the healing phase. Confirmed what I suspected that not much to be done even if there is a small fracture.

I've been considering a wrist guard - even if it's just to remind me not to shake hands :mellow:

Thanks for the advice guys

Correct - smaller cracks and fractures are notoriously difficult to see, and sometimes easier after a week or 2 - use your fingers to isolate to specific pain location and get them to check that area again.

Guest Latent Blue

post-43150-1372180004,7264.jpg

What did you really do with your hand?