FSA Headset bearings

Grebel

Thanks for the replies guys. The fork (2008 BOXXER WC) has been stripped off the bike. I went and had a look at the FSA trechnical section from the link that RED gave me and I found the 1 1/8" threadless headset which looks like it is very similar to mine (looks the same and the OD of the part that is pressed into the head tube is the same diameter) bearing in mind that mine is around 5 years old.

On the site, there is an exploded view of the headset. Comparing what came off the bike to what is in the exploded view, I seem to have all the bits. The crown race is fine and the seals are all in tact as well as the top taperred compression ring. After stripping the unit I think I know what the problem was. Because of the tripple clamp arrangement, I think that the top clamp was tightened before the headset was properly setup. The bearings are fine. Nice and smooth and not notchy or rough. I will however remove them and repack them with grease.

I will give it another look this weekend and reassemble everything.

Ah! sound's like you on to something there Grebel :D

let us know if you come right

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Ah! sound's like you on to something there Grebel :D

let us know if you come right

Cheers

So.... It turns out I got my setup steps wrong the first time...

This time around, I left the top triple clamp loose while assembling all the bits. I looked on the FSA website and I had all the right parts. After assembling everything, I fitted the top cap and tightened everything up. Still had play.... Some head scratching ensued and after stripping and having a good look at the situation and applying some simple logic, I came to the conclusion that I didn't have enough of a gap to take up the play. Added another spacer and refitted the stem and top cap. Did the adjustment and guess what? No more play!! Tightened everything up and went for a spin around the garden. Came back and checked it again. No play.

Job done.

So.... It turns out I got my setup steps wrong the first time...

This time around, I left the top triple clamp loose while assembling all the bits. I looked on the FSA website and I had all the right parts. After assembling everything, I fitted the top cap and tightened everything up. Still had play.... Some head scratching ensued and after stripping and having a good look at the situation and applying some simple logic, I came to the conclusion that I didn't have enough of a gap to take up the play. Added another spacer and refitted the stem and top cap. Did the adjustment and guess what? No more play!! Tightened everything up and went for a spin around the garden. Came back and checked it again. No play.

Job done.

:thumbup: That's Great man!!