Considering ITB Surgery

Have you been to the Chiro. I had knee problems, I went to the Bio, physio and and surgery.....no better.

I went to the Chiro, and after two week.....my knee was 100%

Just a suggestion.

I had numerous sessions of chiro, at one stage I went 2-3 times a week for a month and no improvement...

But thanks anyway :)

Body stress release was suggested by a fellow cyclist.I have'nt tried it yet,been to Chiro & Physio with limited results

After suffering for 19 months I had ITB surgery on 5 Dec 2011. Was allowed to start light spinning after 3 weeks and another 3 weeks later I was back on the bike. Rode Argus on the11th of March with absolutely no pain.

I consider the op the best thing I could've done as nothing else worked. It was a 20 minute procedure under local anaesthetic and I walked into and out of theatre. The pain and discomfort was worse than expected but worth it in the long run.

I'm also considering the surgery. My ITB is consistently sore. Even with time off, stretching, rolling, hip exercise, etc. I'm hesitant to get the surgery, but the ITB pain is now really affecting my cycling. Running even 2 city blocks is not an option but cycling has been ok until about 1 month ago.

After suffering for 19 months I had ITB surgery on 5 Dec 2011. Was allowed to start light spinning after 3 weeks and another 3 weeks later I was back on the bike. Rode Argus on the11th of March with absolutely no pain.

I consider the op the best thing I could've done as nothing else worked. It was a 20 minute procedure under local anaesthetic and I walked into and out of theatre. The pain and discomfort was worse than expected but worth it in the long run.

Thanks for the feedback :)

I am booked in for surgery next week Thursday. Look forward to the same positive results you had.

I'm also considering the surgery. My ITB is consistently sore. Even with time off, stretching, rolling, hip exercise, etc. I'm hesitant to get the surgery, but the ITB pain is now really affecting my cycling. Running even 2 city blocks is not an option but cycling has been ok until about 1 month ago.

I have been having the same problem, I had 3-4 months off from any exercise and it never helped. I've tried every medical professional out there (Short of surgery), but I am at my wits end and I decided to see an orthopaedic surgeon. I'm booked for next week Thursday. :eek:

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes if you interested?

I'm currently on the road to recovery from my ITB surgery... had it done on 6 June. Pretty much the same scenario applied to me as what you guys have explained... tried the ciro, tried the physio... for a long time.... did all the necessary streches, the foam roller... you name it, and i've done it.

This carried on for a few months and was really interfering with my cycling, to such an extend that going for a short 40km was horrible and the pain after the ride was something that came straight out of hell... it was really bad!

I started reading up about the problem, cures and what other people had to say about it. I also started a topic here on the Hub but i think it was lost with the hub crash a while ago. Most guys agreed that the op was the way to go, only after you tried everything else for some time and there were quite a number of success stories. I've read that some people struggle with it for over 2 years... wow... i don't know how they stayed alive as my issue was for 7 months and that was long enough...

So i decided to take the plunge and went for the ITB op, together with a arthroscopy as there was some debriment to remove because of all the scar tissue that was causing havoc.... as mentioned i went the 6th of June so it's now about 5 weeks down.

Last week i started light training again... training like a granny actually but just to get moving... this was ok'd by the 1 time visit to the physio after the op.

This week i increased the training time slightly and the intensity.... going for my first road ride this weekend and aiming to do about a 20km-30km easy ride. Thus far i can't feel any discomfort whatsoever... so i'm extremely stoked about that!! Although i'm feeling great, i have to keep on reminding myself that i'm still recovering and not go balls to the wall with training and possibly stuff up the knee again, although i do feel that i can start pushing again. Don't wanna be in the situation of having gone through all this trouble and time off for nothing.

So in closing.... although my op was only done recently and can't give you a long term experience... i can tell you from what i've experienced thus far... no issues

I wish you all the best with your op.... where are you going if i may ask?

I'm currently on the road to recovery from my ITB surgery... had it done on 6 June. Pretty much the same scenario applied to me as what you guys have explained... tried the ciro, tried the physio... for a long time.... did all the necessary streches, the foam roller... you name it, and i've done it.

This carried on for a few months and was really interfering with my cycling, to such an extend that going for a short 40km was horrible and the pain after the ride was something that came straight out of hell... it was really bad!

I started reading up about the problem, cures and what other people had to say about it. I also started a topic here on the Hub but i think it was lost with the hub crash a while ago. Most guys agreed that the op was the way to go, only after you tried everything else for some time and there were quite a number of success stories. I've read that some people struggle with it for over 2 years... wow... i don't know how they stayed alive as my issue was for 7 months and that was long enough...

So i decided to take the plunge and went for the ITB op, together with a arthroscopy as there was some debriment to remove because of all the scar tissue that was causing havoc.... as mentioned i went the 6th of June so it's now about 5 weeks down.

Last week i started light training again... training like a granny actually but just to get moving... this was ok'd by the 1 time visit to the physio after the op.

This week i increased the training time slightly and the intensity.... going for my first road ride this weekend and aiming to do about a 20km-30km easy ride. Thus far i can't feel any discomfort whatsoever... so i'm extremely stoked about that!! Although i'm feeling great, i have to keep on reminding myself that i'm still recovering and not go balls to the wall with training and possibly stuff up the knee again, although i do feel that i can start pushing again. Don't wanna be in the situation of having gone through all this trouble and time off for nothing.

So in closing.... although my op was only done recently and can't give you a long term experience... i can tell you from what i've experienced thus far... no issues

I wish you all the best with your op.... where are you going if i may ask?

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm going on 18 months now with the ITB issue. Cycling seems to be ok, but when I hit the road running I can barely make 1km without pain. I wanted to get it sorted before it affects my cycling.

I am having it done at Linksfield (Dr Bradley Gelbart), he is in the same practise as Dr Ponky Firer. (Everyone knows that name i'm sure)

From what I hear, it's crutches for about 3 days then they encourage some walking?

Good luck with the recovery, sounds like you on your way to some pain free cycling :thumbup:

Crutches? No, you can move around and walk short distances straight after the op... Before i could leave the hospital (on the same day) i was told to stand up out of bed... walk to the loo... have a leak, and walk back. There's no crutches involved bud.

I went to Rosebank Clinic and the surgeon was Dr Glen Vardi.

Edited by SurferChild