Tacx i-Flow vs. i-Vortex - what are the main differences?

Andymann

Ok - so the deal on the used Cyclops power meter didn't materialize, and after realising that all my power training is done on an indoor trainer anyway, the next step would just be to buy a decent indoor trainer with power readings which I can download. That's the important part - to be able to view the set later for analysis.

It's come down to the i-Flow vs. the i-Vortex. Seeing as I was going to pay R6K for a used Cyclops, I don't mind paying for a decent trainer - I basically need something as robust and reliable as my trusty Cateye CS1000, but with values which I can download. Any comments?

Ok so I eventually got hold of the SA rep for Tacx and I'm going for the I-Vortex. Apparently the major difference is in the software - and for what I need, the later version of the software is better.

Ok so I eventually got hold of the SA rep for Tacx and I'm going for the I-Vortex. Apparently the major difference is in the software - and for what I need, the later version of the software is better.

please give us some details about the software differences.

BTW, how accurate is the power meters on these indoor trainers?

As soon as I get the thing, I'll post about the software. To be honest, even the rep seemed a little confused!

Regarding the power, we've found that the readings on the Cateye's are way out - up to 100W at anything over 200W. The Cyclops hub and the Tacx Flow which we test on now are very close - within a few Watts at the most. The problem with the Flow is you can't download your set for analysis later - hence the need for the i-Vortex.

The reality is though, that you can use any power meter really, so long as you are consistently training and testing on the same one - the problem comes in when your program tells you to train at 200 Tacx Watts and you end up training at 200 Cateye Watts or anything from 100 to 400 Polar Watts :-)

When we test our athletes if we are doing a Power-based program we make sure that the Power meter they train on is the one they do the test on.