Road wheel interchange ability??

flatwheel

I need some advice on a topic that seemed very simple to me but aparantly it is not ....

I basically need three different wheelsets (1 x aero carbon (Vuelta carbon), 1 x normal aluminium (Mavic Krysium Elite) 1 x indoor trainer (Mavik Aksium)) to work on my bike. However when I change them the gears never seem to align up correctly and some adjustment is always needed which is very frustrating.

All three of them have the same Ultegra cassettes on.

Any explanation / advice / experience from anybody perhaps?

Which wheel in particular is the problem? I would think the Mavics are pretty similiar in dimensions.

Which wheel in particular is the problem? I would think the Mavics are pretty similiar in dimensions.

Yes, changing between the Mavics and the Vuelta sets is problematic .... :-(

Hmmm ... will check ... and will feel very stupid if they do differ!

Thanks and will give some feedback tomorrow ...

Hmmm ... will check ... and will feel very stupid if they do differ!

Thanks and will give some feedback tomorrow ...

Had same problem with wheels. Got spacers. Problem mostly sorted out

Happens often. The distance from the lock nut face on the drive side end of the axel to the first gear needs to be the same on all the wheels. Depending on what hubs you have, this is best modified by adjusting the thickness of the spacer placed on the freehub before putting on the cassette. Having said that it is almost impossible to find spacers of the desired size and thickness. You can also rectify by varying the thickness of the shim washers under the locknuts. These are easier to come by but the procedure is more tricky as you want to keep the axel over lock nut measurement constant and shifting spacers around means you will most likely have to re dish the wheel.

Happens often. The distance from the lock nut face on the drive side end of the axel to the first gear needs to be the same on all the wheels. Depending on what hubs you have, this is best modified by adjusting the thickness of the spacer placed on the freehub before putting on the cassette. Having said that it is almost impossible to find spacers of the desired size and thickness. You can also rectify by varying the thickness of the shim washers under the locknuts. These are easier to come by but the procedure is more tricky as you want to keep the axel over lock nut measurement constant and shifting spacers around means you will most likely have to re dish the wheel.

The hub width is the constant, why re-dish the wheel????