Best hydration for long rides? (....he,he,he)

mullet

Hello fellow mullets...

ok, so a friend and I are testing various options of drinks, we start comparing powerade to energade...and then discover HALLS juice mix contains more than double anything the first two could give...for about half the price...are we all just sucked into this game of overspending in this -already-over-expensive sport?

Am I missing the point ...?

Yip....try water. It works really well! It also does not leak out and block up your cable guide!!

Water is the new 'Energade'...didnt you get the memo?!

I started using "Game" last year and together with my normal "Energybar" it helps me during training and racing. I must admit for races I do drink VO2 tablets also, not that I can really feel the difference from using the tablets but ja. I think these tablets and stuff like creatine and other stuff people drink is just messing up our heads in thinking we will perform better. I am not saying we must not drink anything or only water, no, but why can't these products like Powerade, etc not work AS good?

So Mullet, I agree. I think we are a little bit cought in the idea of we NEED this or tjat to perform. MY wife has gone , or actually, I supported my wife through a difficult cancer year last year, and it was difficult, I must say, but when I could start ride again, I thought by myself. She went through chemo and radiation and after these treatments she would be down and out anytime from two to four days, only sleeping and recovering, but I can't even push myself for a three hour race to finish with the front guys. So I feel, drinking my Game and having this inspiration, I can only perform better.

Surely its got to be CytoMax, can't do long rides without it.

All the other stuff you guys mentioned does not come close.

Mr B, thanks for the good reply...I have forgotten about game, and will try the VO2 Max... HALLs seem quite good, we did a 70 km MTB training ride the past weekend and it worked well. Two weeks to go and we are ending off our training for Sani2C. I hope you have a better year than last...

G'day, Mullet

Brand: Biogen

Product: Cytogen

Works pretty well for me. Energade and Powerade are useless. Not sure why they even bother sponsoring events!!

Mr Hammer... what is a long ride???... to me it is anything from 70 km to 100...I MTB.., and I are a 1972 model...( with all original parts..so they are blerrie old)

I did the fast one a few weeks back..and returned...204km that day on  my MTB with knobblies. I did the GU every 45 minutes-thing with energy bars in between + Blue powerade.. it worked well for me

Yip....try water. It works really well! It also does not leak out and block up your cable guide!!

Water is the new 'Energade'...didnt you get the memo?!

greis-vool? do you perhaps work for Eskom?

Powerade / Energade definitely not great, just water with colouring and clever marketing.

Take a decent energy drink like CytoMax / Replenish and you will not have to eat as many gels and energy bars.

When I was at varsity we did a comparitive study on all of the available sports drinks. Amazingly, Energade and Powerade proved to be amongst the worst due to the high levels of sugar.

Cytomax is good, but it also depends on the person. I personally cannot ride on Cytomax, but I know others who cannot ride without it.

Personally, I use water. Lots of it when I ride.

But I would say the best part is experimenting for yourself...find what works for you.

Basically any ride over 1 hour at a decent pace will deplete your clycogen stores in your muscles and you will hit the wall if you only consume water.

You must consume carbohydrates at a rate equal to the amount consumed or you will hit the wall.

So how you replenish the clycogen depends on the fuels you add during the ride.

Water is fine for rehydration but you then must consume carbs in the form of a gel or energy bars or whatever form, bread with peanut butter and jam or  boiled potatoes, whatever blows your hair back.

The point being: replenish the clycogen loss in your muscles at a rate fast enough to no blow before your ride is up.