11 Global vs 5150 Germiston Lake

Big Ed

With the high entry fees and the 2 races only a week apart, I decided to only do 1 of these races. I have done the 5150 Bela Bela as well as 11 Global for the last 3 editions and would rate them both very highly.

For 11 Global - Cheaper $55 (R600) vs R820 for 5150 if I enter tomorrow, cleaner dam & generally more pleasant surroundings

For 5150 - Guaranteed to be a quality event (probably better than 11 Global), closer to home

Think I am leaning towards 11 Global.....what do you think?

Must say I do enjoy sun city and the race itself somehow seems a little more relaxed. But don't misjudge the run its much tougher than 5150.

Was thinking of doing both. My partner is now starting doing tri's and thought about her doing the sprint on the Saturday. Ridiculous pricing for a sprint (whereas the standard is reasonable). (details were posted in the Energade thread). When okes get stupid greedy, I don't want to do business with them. Rather both of us do the new sprint in VDBL that same day (assuming they finally announce it).

11Global is a nice day out, swim is nice, bike is nice and fast, run is a beast, especially if it gets hot. Long drive but a well-run event.

5150 is the old Jhb City tri. Swim is ok, I don't like laps and this one is 2 laps. Bike is flat and fast, run is flat and fast. If the 5150 folks are running it, it will be a great event too, and right on the doorstep.

In short both well-run events. The travel cost to Sun City will eat the difference between the entry fees.

Edited by DawieO

Was thinking of doing both. My partner is now starting doing tri's and thought about her doing the sprint on the Saturday. Ridiculous pricing for a sprint (whereas the standard is reasonable). (details were posted in the Energade thread). When okes get stupid greedy, I don't want to do business with them. Rather both of us do the new sprint in VDBL that same day (assuming they finally announce it).

Davem definitely seems overpriced for the sprint at Sun City. Personally not holding my breath for the BSG replacement sprint series - would have expected to have heard a lot more on the event by now......

I just wish winter would come to an end. I have become such a woes this winter I have not been near my bike in months. Been working on my running and swimming all winter. Those freezing 5am sessions with the boskruin crowd are starting to pay dividends. Now just got the find some time to cycle ....

11Global is a nice day out, swim is nice, bike is nice and fast, run is a beast, especially if it gets hot. Long drive but a well-run event.

5150 is the old Jhb City tri. Swim is ok, I don't like laps and this one is 2 laps. Bike is flat and fast, run is flat and fast. If the 5150 folks are running it, it will be a great event too, and right on the doorstep.

In short both well-run events. The travel cost to Sun City will eat the difference between the entry fees.

I'll be doing the 5150 - like the idea of not having to travel to far for this one. Not sure about swimming in Germiston Lake though. Havent seen it in a couple years but I cant remember the water being too clean