Can you recommend any routes in the Midstream area please?

BigDL

Hi

We have recently moved to Midstream from the UK. All my (adult) cycling was done there. I am really keen to get some decent rides in in this area, but went out on the road bike once and almost kakked myself with the other road users. Have been out a good few times on the MTB, but have almost no local knowledge and seem to end up in dodgy looking areas every time I ride off road in the bush.

Would anyone be able to recommend a decent route or two for road and MTB in this area? Ideally that would be safe as well. I took a drive to the Big Red Barn yesterday. That looks great and is within cycling distance, but wondering about security riding it alone. Any thoughts?

Sorry to be a pain, but really desperate for some decent riding.

Big Red Barn should be ok to ride on your own. I would recommend, however, that you do NOT ride anywhere else in the Midstream area on your own. Contact Epic Cycles in Centurion. They have organised rides on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

Ride in groups of 8 or more in the whole of the Centurion Midrand area.

Holy Mackerel

Thanks for the response. That's properly put the wind up me. What about riding to and from the barn? Would that be safe enough? I had a bike serviced at epic two weeks ago and they seemed like nice guys, so will try that, although I really wanted to ride from home.

Thanks again.

Hi. I wouldnt ride to big red barn from midstream, the last bit next to the railway line is dodgy imo. We regularly ride from midstream to groenkloof or voortrekker and back. You are welcome to join .

Stay away from Irene!!! I would not ride to the big red barn by myself, the road leading to the big red barn is also the road that leads to Tembisa, the other two places here is Groenkloof/fountains and Voortrekker Monument. This is the only "safe" places to ride around Centurion. I will not ride to any of this places alone, if you are serious you must join Epic's group ride. I know Midstream had a group ride Saterday mornings but it is long forgotten, we can maybe see if we can get it back together, it is safer in a group...

Hi Wahoofish. I stay in Midstream as well. There is quite a couple of mtb'ers in the area. Can recommend the BRB route. It is safe to do so from Midstream (just don't venture off the actual road - off-road is a safety in numbers game unfortunately). On Saturday mornings the guys from Tool-up cycles does a route from the shop. They are at the Grey Owl centre; they start at 06h30. Else you can ride with the guys from Cyclelab Centurion; 10km to the shop do a loop with them and 10km back. PM me and I'll invite you on my next outing.

Cheers

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Hi feel free to contact my dad Francois:0740448622 we live in midstream aswell and he rides alot he would love someone to join him

Many thanks for the replies guys? Will PM where necessary. Would be really good to set up a weekly ride or two from Midstream as I see a lot of lone cyclists riding around.

30-40 km's on weekdays, 50-100 on weekends with a slightly later start. Avg speed of 24-28km/h

What format? Road or Mtb? Anything over 24km/h avg on the mtb is some serious shunting...

Phew, thanks Wynand, but that pace may be a bit tough for where I am at the moment on a MTB . If possible, I will keep in touch and once I feel that I won't embarrass myself and slow you okes down, I would love to join you.

Thanks

Phew, thanks Wynand, but that pace may be a bit tough for where I am at the moment on a MTB . If possible, I will keep in touch and once I feel that I won't embarrass myself and slow you okes down, I would love to join you.

Thanks

For road and MTB you could also ride with CycleLab in centurion. Group rides with marshalls for road and MTB. Start 6am on Saturdays with different groups to suit ability. Sundays normally at 6:30 and is an LSD ride.

Tried the BRB yesterday morning. Thanks. Will try the epic and Cycle Labs rides over the next week or two.

• 2 weeks later...

What format? Road or Mtb? Anything over 24km/h avg on the mtb is some serious shunting...

MTB. In the estate we have to ride some tar as well, hence the avg speed