2013 World Cup Season wrap - geeking out to the max

Capricorn

these stats are flipping brilliant!

The battle for the crown

The obvious place to start is the season long tussle between Gee Atherton and Steve Smith for the overall title. You can see below that whilst Gee dominated the early season, there was a key shift in momentum around the middle of the season. Is there an argument for giving Remi Thirion some credit for Steve Smith’s overall win? Without his incredible performance on the final sector at Vallnord, Gee would have won three in a row and his momentum could well have been unstoppable. As it was, he had a big bobble in the final sector, Thirion took the win, and then he had a few crashes at Mte Ste Anne whilst Smith was charging. Whilst Gee was faltering Smith just relentlessly ate into the 200 points he had to claw back with awesome consistency as we’ll see later on.

http://www.nsmb.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Points-race-624x699.png

Look at the stats!

Edited by Capricorn

without a doubt, the real lurker, the dark horse for future champion's podiums, is Troy Brosnan. The heat maps and race pace clearly shows him still shaking off the mental horrors of multiple near-death experiences last year. But as the season got on, so did the confidence, and it's visible in the speed.

But nothing shrinks balls like a good stack.

Edited by Capricorn

It was an awesome season to follow. I know there are some Gee-haters on this forum, but it was a great battle between the two!

It was an awesome season to follow. I know there are some Gee-haters on this forum, but it was a great battle between the two!

tbh, i think gee choked. the 'knee' in his performance started with South Africa, and as the pressure of the world cup chanmps win started building in, he wilted even more, while steve just kept trucking.

One of my old DVD's shows 18 year old Stevie being shuttled up the hill by his mum and racing her down. He talks about winning the WC in that clip, many years ago...

I like the boy! He has the skill and the right attitude...