Help please - Road wheels upgrade???

CASSIE1975

I need some help on deciding to upgrade and which ROAD wheels to consider...PLEASE HELP???

***Or if there is a link to another "fred" on the HUB, please let me know, thanx!!

I have a set of Fulcrum Racing 7 (training) and a set of SRAM AL27 (for some training and also races)...I know :whistling: not the best wheels to choose from...he he he.

- looking for something that will work well on the hills and on the decents...a balanced wheelset with good bearings and you don't need to check or true every month or 2...

- also something that won't break a spoke every 4 or 5 rides...and easily serviced and replacable (if a spoke does happen to break)

I am between 75 and 77kg - dependant on the time of the year...LOL :w00t:

Looking at the following wheels to upgrade to (as the budget is limited :wacko: )

- numbered as from 1 is my favourite, etc. etc.

- weights are claimed (per set) and without skewers and rim tape (as I can find them on the websites)

1. Shimano RS80 C24 - 1527g

2. Fulcrum Racing 5 - 1645g (or a budget stretch "Racing 3" @ 1550g)?

3. Shimano Ultegra (6700) - 1670g or 6800 - 1640g

4. Fulcrum Racing Quattro - 1725g (Aero wheels, but heavy?)

5. Mavic Cosmic Elites - 1770g (Heavy??)

6. Easton EA50 Aero - 1785g (Heavy??) = Not sure of Easton's as a few of my friends have broken spokes every now and then?? :unsure:

Any comments on above wheelset please?? :thumbup: or :thumbdown:

Any other suggestions to consider please??

:clap: or if someone has some Fulcrum Zero's, Zipp 101 or 303 at a ridiculously reduced price??? :w00t: :drool: :thumbup:

***Dark Horse Wheels***

50mm Full Carbon Clinchers

Weight: 1300g per set

Spokes: Sapim Cx-ray(black)

Nipples: Sapim SILS (black)

Hubs: Bitex 6 paw (black or red)

Includes:

Lightweight Ti skewers

Carbon specific brake pads

Price R7995-00per set

Shimano RS80 C24, or perhaps Dura Ace C24 if budget allows, imo they are the most awesome wheels for the price. - best weight vs aerodynamics vs cost. 10 speed ones should be on special, if you can find stock.

Consider that you do not want a deep section wheel to train on, according to Zipp's website you will then push less watts on every group ride, and gain less fitness from training. If for racing only, go as deep section, as you can, but if you want to do your training on the wheels too, C24.

How much is your budget?

Thanx...looking at +/- R 5000 to R 6500 - still need to buy some Conti 4000S tyres to add :thumbup:

***Dark Horse Wheels***

50mm Full Carbon Clinchers

Weight: 1300g per set

Spokes: Sapim Cx-ray(black)

Nipples: Sapim SILS (black)

Hubs: Bitex 6 paw (black or red)

Includes:

Lightweight Ti skewers

Carbon specific brake pads

Price R7995-00per set

This is on my wish-list :drool: or the 38mm...but I guess the 50mm will be better.

From your list...

Shimano

I only hear good reviews

The lighter for rotational mass, the better. No doubt.

Get to close as 1500 grams as you can.

Shimano RS80 C24, or perhaps Dura Ace C24 if budget allows, imo they are the most awesome wheels for the price. - best weight vs aerodynamics vs cost. 10 speed ones should be on special, if you can find stock.

Consider that you do not want a deep section wheel to train on, according to Zipp's website you will then push less watts on every group ride, and gain less fitness from training. If for racing only, go as deep section, as you can, but if you want to do your training on the wheels too, C24.

Thanx Christie...I must this is my number 1 choice (for the last few weeks) and I have read very good reviews on other sites as well on the R80 C24 (as this is roughly in my budget :clap: )...I would have LOVED the DURA ACE C24's :whistling: maybe on my next upgrade...LOL

It's interesting about the training / group rides...never thought of it that way :thumbup: thanx for the heads-up!!!