2014 Tour De France

ScottCM

Geraint Thomas is the highest placed GC rider in the break today. The Welshman is 14.05 behind Nibali. Nieve is not too far behind him at 14:51, however he could have been higher up had he not waited for Porte yesterday.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very early in the day, but with a group this strong we could see our stage winner coming from this group of 17.

17 riders have made it into the break and now have a gap of 1:51. Here is a full list of the riders who have made the cut

Geraint Thomas (Sky), Mikel Nieve (Sky), Steven Kruijswijk (Belkin), Cyril Gautier (Europcar), Nicolas Roche (Tinkoff-Saxo), Peter Sagan (Cannondale), Amaël Moinard (BMC), Alessandro de Marchi (Cannondale), Jose Serpa (Lampre-Merida), Joaquim Rodríguez (Katusha), Rafal Majka (Tinoff-Saxo), Nicolas Edet (Cofidis), Jesus Herrada (Movistar), Simon Yates (Orica-GreenEdge), Rein Taaramae (Cofidis), Christophe Riblon (AG2R-La Mondiale), Albert Timmer (Giant-Shimano).

The speed of the opening 16km has been 47kph, pretty high when you consider that they've been climbing almost right from the off.

Greipel has a small cut to the back of his left calf. It looks like he may have had an off in the neutralised zone, which could explain why he was off the back. It doesn't look too serious for the German.

Tdf got one DNS today, Rafal Valls (Lampre-Merida). The Spaniard is suffering with tendonitis of the knee. He is the third Lampre rider to abandon the race.

This year's race has been a great one for the French, with some of their young stars really shining. In fact, it is two Frenchmen leading the pack in the young rider's classification. Romain Bardet heads the standings, 16 seconds ahead of his compatriot Thibault Pinot. We could have a good old battle between this pair today.

Joaquim Rodríguez has some radio problems. He's not the only one, Konig had some issues earlier on as did Mollema. Perhaps the incoming storm clouds are having an affect already.

The leaders are in Bourg-d'Oisans, home to the Alpe d'Huez. The riders will be able to see it, but their not going to be climbing it this year. The Col du Lautaret is coming up soon.

Rafal Majka has been looking a lot better in recent days and finished second to Nibali yesterday. He was another late call-up to the Tour de France, after his teammate Romain Kreuziger was pulled due to an ongoing anti-doping case against him. Majka rode the Giro d'Italia earlier in the season and finished sixth, his best finish in a Grand Tour to date.

The leaders are now on the slopes of the Col du Lautaret and the gap has extended to 3:52.

The leaders are now on the slopes of the Col du Lautaret and the gap has extended to 3:52.

There are a few specks of rain at the moment, but nothing too serious. It could get heavier towards the end of the day though.

Archived