ScottCM

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Please sign. This is important.

https://secure.avaaz.org/fr/petition/Brian_Cookson_Linsertion_du_Team_Europcar_dans_le_World_Tour_2015

Google translate

For cycling, it is important that the sporting aspect is emphasized and that the financial aspect is secondary behind the ethics (when it is respected). The UCI (International Cycling Union) preferred to take a team (Astana) where several doping cases were found and which is associated with one or more doping stories (Padua). Why not insert the Team Europcar among the 18 teams in the World Tour, especially as compared to other years, there is a free space and no other team has applied to climb higher division and that the team was World Tour supposed to stay for a period of 2 years?

• 4 years later...

World War 1 wiped out a whole generation, and the majority of the original Tour de France community was pretty much decimated by the end of the war which started 100 years ago.

So, in memory of those who came before us, on the 100 year anniversary of the start of the Great War, we take a couple of seconds to note the passing of those fellow cyclists who were killed along with their mate Octave.

Roll of Honour for the Fallen Riders of the Great War

They all rode the Tour de France and all have their names inscribed on war memorials around the French countryside: Mort Pour la France. They swapped the Hell of the North and the mud of the unmade roads of the Tour for the hell and the mud of No Man’s Land. They are les disparus: the "disappeared" – how curiously beautiful and moving, as if they simply rode into the dust clouds of the paves or the lost and secret corners of the mountains and never came back.

Key names:

Lucien Petit-Breton (winner of the 1907 and 1908 TDFs), killed on 20 December 1917.

Francois Faber (winner of the 1909 TDF), killed Mont-Saint-Eloi on 9 May 1915.

Octave Lapize (winner of the 1910 TDF), shot down on Bastille Day in 1917.

Other TDF riders who were killed in WW1:

Willy Honeman

Willy Schmitter

Marcel Kerff

Emile Engel

Francois Lafourcade

Henri Alavoine

Anselme Mazin

Anthony "the Tortoise" Wattelier

Charles Privas

Pierre Marie Privat

René Cottrel

Jean Perreard

Marius Villette

François Cordier

Frédéric Rigaux

René Etien

Georges Bronchard

Pierre Vuge

Albert Niepceron

Camille Fily

Emile Guyon

Franck Henry

Emile Besnier

Vincent Buisson

Albert Cartigny

Marcel Chanut

Louis Constans

Maurice Dejoie

Albert Delrieu

Raymond Didier

Auguste Garnier

Paul Gombault

Ernest Haillotte

Adrien Heloin

Emile Lachaise

Eugene Lacot

Louis Lecuona

Emile Maitrot

Francois Marcastel

Gabriel Mathonat

Marceau Narcy

Armand Perin

Jean-Marie Perreard

Charles Ponson

Felix Pregnac

Pierre Stabat

Georges Tribouillard

Edmond Heliot

Leon Dupoux

Emmanuelle Fillon

Francois Julien

Francis Lebars

Eugene Leonard

Auguste Meziere

Rene Michel

Maurice Petit

Aguste Pierron

Marcel Robert

Read more at https://cyclists-in-the-great-war.fandom.com/wiki/Tour_1903-1914 (or https://renners-in-de-grote-oorlog.fandom.com/nl/wiki/Tour_1903-1914