[Event] Cape Agulhas MTB Classic

Naas V

The 60 km event was tough, but totally doable. Some sandy sections were challenging and most if not all had to get off and walk. Taking all into consideration, it was a good day of mountain biking with no other events around.

As for the Afrikaans - I am an Afrikaner who lives and works overseas, NO event has ever changed their language to accommodate me.

Try to harden up a bit boys... And girls. Don't let the course beat you.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 60 km event was tough, but totally doable. Some sandy sections were challenging and most if not all had to get off and walk. Taking all into consideration, it was a good day of mountain biking with no other events around.

As for the Afrikaans - I am an Afrikaner who lives and works overseas, NO event has ever changed their language to accommodate me.

Try to harden up a bit boys... And girls. Don't let the course beat you.

I agree to disagree - the event was rather well organized except that the core briefing should/could have been in English. - all participants would then be aware of what they had coming - not only the dutchmen... :thumbup:

The Rooinekke are usually so tough that their own Generals didnt bother to warn them about the heat or sand in Africa- just continuing the tradition...

Die mense wat my gehelp het was baie oningelig oor die CSA lisensie.Ek het myne ook by my gehad.Toe ek hulle vra of ek R35.00 afkry toe se hulle nee.Volgens Naas as jy nie n CSA lisensie het kos n laat inskrywing jou eintlik R215.Ek het wel net R180.00 betaal ,maar soos ek verstaan sluit dit die R35.00 in indien jy nie n CSA lisensie het.

Ek het my inskrywing + R35 betaal online, maar die late entries het nie R35 betaal nie. So as hulle wel geld aan CSA moet betaal gaan dit hulle paar rand kos.

Maar was ok event ek sal weer hom ry

I agree 100%. Not being Afrikaans myself I certainly did not take it as offensive I just didn't understand a word and I didn't like that. I did not enjoy most of the route. That is my problem and mine alone. If i don't enjoy the route I am not going to have a good day out. So for me it was not worth it. I did think the rest of it was very well done. The water points were great and I managed to share some good humour with most of the people attending them. For me it was very far away as I don't have a place out there and I don't like sleeping away from my home if I don't have to.

Not every person will enjoy every race. That is clear. I hope they manage to find a better route next year as I think it could be good fun if you don't run out of humour walking in the sand! :nuke:

Lets try again!The race was really not that bad.This is the first time I rode on sand

and I think it is just a matter of getting used to sand and learn how to ride it.A guy

came past me on the sand,cruising!He was running fat tyres at low pressure ,spinning

high cadence, low gear.

I also got off my bike 5 times and it was no big issue!You just have to accept the conditions

and make the most of it.

I am no racing snake or technical expert but like to go as hard as I can and still enjoy myself.

I came in at3:08

Lets try again!The race was really not that bad.This is the first time I rode on sand

and I think it is just a matter of getting used to sand and learn how to ride it.A guy

came past me on the sand,cruising!He was running fat tyres at low pressure ,spinning

high cadence, low gear.

I also got off my bike 5 times and it was no big issue!You just have to accept the conditions

and make the most of it.

I am no racing snake or technical expert but like to go as hard as I can and still enjoy myself.

I came in at3:08

Good attitude

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All.

Worst race ever.

1) A little bit of SAND? Please dont lie to us.

Yes, maybe it was ridable for the pro and advance cyclist. But it was not ridable for the average cyclists.

2) Fast finished? Maybe if can walk fast with a bike on your back in thick sand.

3) timed race? Not true. Apparently I didnt finished the race.

Wont see me again, Unless they make huge changes to the race.

Hi there.

Back to normal after a great holiday. About this race and the organisation the following:

First of all I would like to say that I go to Struisbaai a lot, but I am an out-of-towner. I met Naas in December 2012 when he took myself and a few other guys on MTB rides to show us some of the routes. We also did the Anuysberg ride, but without the sandy bit. What a nice ride on a mtb. He did this on his own time and I immediately knew this guy just loves the sport.

1. I agree the CSA license fee was a mistake, but easily rectified next year.

2. The route was great in my book for the first 45 km. The Anuysberg decent, which people moan about, should be handled by MTB'ers that ride the longer endurance events. If you cannot handle that, I think you should have done the 30 km's. The part on the beach was great especially in the mist. From there to the "Witpad" was unrideable for the average biker, myself included. I do not mind getting of for a sandy patch, but this was pushing all the way for the average guy. I don't like walking, otherwise I would have done the Comrades instead - I am a "cyclist"!!! The part from the top of the "Witpad" to Struisbaai was also to sandy. I have to say that I ride these routes in the winter without a problem. In summer though, it is not a good idea, for you get a lot of "waaisand" in the jeeptrack that makes it unrideable.

3. Coming back to the 30 km "funride" for the less technical, the last bit was also a problem and completely to difficult for funriders because of the sand.

For the rest and taking into consideration that it was their first attempt, I think this was great. We need a race that time of the year in Struisbaai. I also did the 35 km funride at the Black Oystercatcher winefarm a week later, as well as the race in Hartenbos. We are all on holiday and need some inspiration to stay on the bike. So Naas you and everybody that worked hard to organise the event, keep on doing it and we (real mountain bikers) will see you next year again! I was involved in the organisation of the Langkloof MTB Challenge in 2013 for the first time, and now know, that not to many people know what goes into the organising of such an event.

Get the route to be more fun and this race will even get bigger.

Regards

Marius

Hi there.

Back to normal after a great holiday. About this race and the organisation the following:

First of all I would like to say that I go to Struisbaai a lot, but I am an out-of-towner. I met Naas in December 2012 when he took myself and a few other guys on MTB rides to show us some of the routes. We also did the Anuysberg ride, but without the sandy bit. What a nice ride on a mtb. He did this on his own time and I immediately knew this guy just loves the sport.

1. I agree the CSA license fee was a mistake, but easily rectified next year.

2. The route was great in my book for the first 45 km. The Anuysberg decent, which people moan about, should be handled by MTB'ers that ride the longer endurance events. If you cannot handle that, I think you should have done the 30 km's. The part on the beach was great especially in the mist. From there to the "Witpad" was unrideable for the average biker, myself included. I do not mind getting of for a sandy patch, but this was pushing all the way for the average guy. I don't like walking, otherwise I would have done the Comrades instead - I am a "cyclist"!!! The part from the top of the "Witpad" to Struisbaai was also to sandy. I have to say that I ride these routes in the winter without a problem. In summer though, it is not a good idea, for you get a lot of "waaisand" in the jeeptrack that makes it unrideable.

3. Coming back to the 30 km "funride" for the less technical, the last bit was also a problem and completely to difficult for funriders because of the sand.

For the rest and taking into consideration that it was their first attempt, I think this was great. We need a race that time of the year in Struisbaai. I also did the 35 km funride at the Black Oystercatcher winefarm a week later, as well as the race in Hartenbos. We are all on holiday and need some inspiration to stay on the bike. So Naas you and everybody that worked hard to organise the event, keep on doing it and we (real mountain bikers) will see you next year again! I was involved in the organisation of the Langkloof MTB Challenge in 2013 for the first time, and now know, that not to many people know what goes into the organising of such an event.

Get the route to be more fun and this race will even get bigger.

Regards

Marius

Real Mountain bikers ??? Does walking in sand makes you a real Mountain biker?

Hi George MTB

I did say that I could not ride the sandy bits, as well as the fact that I do not like walking. Therefore we are in agreement. I do however feel that some of the complaints has got nothing to do with riding the bike, like language issues and the like. Also, I think the organisers got the message about the route and we should encourage them to go ahead with the event for the future. It was after all their first attempt!

Regards

Dagse julle almal, die sand het al bietjie gaan le, so ook sommige humeure :) .Dankie vir al die wonderlike ondersteuning - hierdie race het gekom om te bly en gaan net beter word.

Myns insiens vervaag die ryers se sg slegte ondervindings(van hoogstens 'n halfuur of so) in belangrikheid vergeleke met die daaglikse omstandighede van die kinders van ons plaaslike gemeenskappe. In die breer prentjie is genade en dankbaarheid vir ons eie seeninge seker nie 'n te hoe prys om af en toe 'n beproewingkie te moet ondergaan nie tot voordeel van minderbevoorregtes nie.

Lekker dag verder,

Naas