Amashova times vs 94.7

Rotiringer

Hi.

If most things were equal would the average person ride the amashova or the 94.7 in a faster time? Also does anyone know at roughly what time M batch would start for the 94.7

Edited by Rotiringer

If you are living on the highveld and doing the Amashova you should do better due to more oxygen. Then again you may encounter more wind down under. No knowledge on M times.

Out of interest, if you compare the average speed for the winner, the 200th, and the median rider in each race over the past two years in which the race was held, the Amashova is consistently a bit faster than the Momentum 94.7.

Amashova 2013: Winner (45.76), 200th (38.18), Median (26.88)

Amashova 2012: Winner (45.39), 200th (38.76), Median (27.78)

Momentum 2012: Winner (43.61), 200th (37.41), Median (24.11)

Momentum 2011: Winner (44.35), 200th (38.35), Median (24.49)

I would not read much into the median rider. The 94.7 attracts a lot more "once a year" riders and a much bigger field of under-prepared participants. The winning time is also less representative, as it is influenced by the teams participating and their tactics. I included the 200th rider as an hopefully more representative example of a very quick time in each race.

Edit: Tried to post as a table, but it would not display correctly.

Edited by Blackadder

BUT ! The Amashova is 104 k's and 1145 m of climbing and the Momentum is 97 k's with 1210 m climbing. Last time I did them in the same year , my Shova was 14 minutes slower then the Momentum... ( both races on a MTB, if it matters)

BUT ! The Amashova is 104 k's and 1145 m of climbing and the Momentum is 97 k's with 1210 m climbing. Last time I did them in the same year , my Shova was 14 minutes slower then the Momentum... ( both races on a MTB, if it matters)

It's almost impossible to compare races accurately, I agree.

Another difference though, is that whilst the total climbing is roughly the same on the Amashova and the 94.7, the decent's are completely different. On the Amashova you drop around 2,071 m, and only 1,259 on the 94.7. So there is a lot more fast downhill.

Edited by Blackadder

I do not have a time for the Amashova, so if I take 1 second as a hypothetical time (closest to 00:00 - which I am using as no time) then my 94.7 this year should be at least 34200 time slower - I am aiming for 9H00 - 9H30 for the 94.7.

This means that anybody who did a sub 3 (2:59) Amashova should look at an equivalent time of 102,590H30 for the 94.7. That is about 11 years, 9 months, 13 days and 14:H30.

HAPPY CYCLING!

94.7 is much faster and easier than Amashova. It makes no difference coming from sea level, because we live near Durban and I don't have any trouble with oxygen only when running.