Killarney 6 Nov 13

RaymondC

Tonights race at 18:00 new registration area as you

go through the tunnel go straight not left, Do not go on the track until told its open!

Also all the Pro Jozi teams will be racing and our friend from Argos Shimano Pro tour team - Reinardt Jv Rensburg will also be racing.

See you later.

Wind is gona be pumping so racing is going to be hard! Lets hope I can leave work in time....been missing all of these lately due to work.

and ...our friend from Argos Shimano Pro tour team - Reinardt Jv Rensburg will also be racing.

See you later.

That's special...

....been missing all of these lately due to work.

An unfortunate deterrent for many of us. :unsure:

Fantastic racing tonight. Thank you everyone! :thumbup:

Ladies:

1 Bianca Holzkampf

Men:

1 Willie Smit

2 Jayde Julius

3 Raymond Cox

4 Herman Fouche

5 HB Kruger

6 Alex Heward

7 Reynard Butler

8 Reginald Benjamin

9 Shameeq Salie

10 Matthew Merrington

Thank you all for co-operating as far as the new registration and parking is concerned :clap:

Dam I think I missed a place by 1 - would have been nice to see my name in the top 10 - with the quality field Killarney had tonight at 40 (41 by the end of the week) years of age but 11th does not cut it!!!

Thanks to all in getting Cape road racing back on the map again!

Edited by Icycling

An unfortunate deterrent for many of us. :unsure:

Pissie.... wrong attitude, if enough CAT 2 riders pitch, we could all work together, but certainly seemed most were scared away. :(

Killarney Race Report - Visiting PRO Teams!

by Dennis Lamminga

Now we all know by now that Wednesday Killarney Racing is synonymous with a howling South-Easter. So why not liven things up by getting some visiting PRO Teams joining us?

We had the honour of having Gauteng-based Bonitas and Abantu (the People’s Team) compete against us locals. You could sense the excitement when the Bonitas Bus arrived, complete with “PRO Cycling Team” advertised all over it. A few highly enthusiastic athletes jumped out and started warming up before our imminent 1 hour of pain.

A handful die-hards from the following local clubs started turning up:

· The Outriders

· Cycles Direct

· City Cycling Club (CCC)

I don’t know if it was the weather or the pre-race social-media posts that scared most away, but our Amateur group looked rather diminished in size. Only 75 riders (normally around 120) were silly enough to cycle in these conditions. Bianca (CCC) was the only girl that was brave enough to face another Wednesday, yet full of smiles and optimism. Always great to have you in our group Bianca!

As per usual the “Scratch + 1” group started first. We definitely didn’t want to be caught within the first few laps, so our group worked very nicely together to try and keep the pace high. Most did their turn in front and it looked like it had the desired effect. Our group was very quiet. We knew the big group of “Scratch” was approaching fast though..

Around half-way through a wall of wind rocketed past as the Elite Riders made contact. We appreciated their pro approach and there was very little shouting and pushing, just a whirlwind of devastation that wreaked havoc amongst us. One by one we were being spat out the back of the peloton as they seemed to attack every corner like it was the finish line sprint!

After about 3 laps of utter madness my Garmin Heart-Rate monitor seemed to flash uncontrollably and all I could do was watch as the riders disappear into the sunset. No more Kentucky Fried Chicken for lunch then! Robin Harris and Steven Buckley (Cycles Direct) did very well to hang on almost to the end.

Raymond Cox (CWC) broke away from the Elite Bunch but was joined by 2 x Bonitas riders (Willie and Jayde) who kept the gap all the way to the end. It was great to have a Cape Tonian on the podium! Current Killarney Leader’s Jersey wearer, Alex Heward, managed an excellent 6th place. A big mention goes to Wayne Roberts’s new “Lights of Linea Future Stars” Team, with Reginald Benjamin managing a very respectable 8th place.

Well done guys.

--

A special thanks once again to our supporters who stood in that freezing wind for over an hour cheering us along.

And of course our photographers, Capcha Photography, Robert Ward, Owen Lloyd (Team Intellibus) and Bernie Viljoen (Outriders).

Safe cycling,

Dennis