9 Speed Shimano Cassette onto 11 speed Shimano Freehub body

Caerus

Just needing to know If I can fit a 9 speed cassette onto a 11 speed freehub body that came with my new wheels, or will it require spacers or moving the 9 speed freehub over to the new wheels.

All are Shimano

Just needing to know If I can fit a 9 speed cassette onto a 11 speed freehub body that came with my new wheels, or will it require spacers or moving the 9 speed freehub over to the new wheels.

All are Shimano

I assume you're talking road here?

I believe it will work.

Is there a difference in width/length/depth of the freehubs?

I say try it, and see.

I assume you're talking road here?

I believe it will work.

Is there a difference in width/length/depth of the freehubs?

I say try it, and see.

Yeah, for road bike. Apparently the cassette width does not change and should be fine. Not sure if they freehubs are exactly the same, will check when I get home just now. I've done some reading up on this and they say that all the Shimano parts are interchangeable

Worst case scenario is that the free hub is wider than the cassette. If so, put a spacer or 2 on the free hub before you put on the cassette. Done it before with a 7-speed cassette onto a 10-spd freehub.

This is exactly the case, I need to get two 1mm sprocket spacers. Will get tomorrow and bobs your uncle, I even learned to service the brakes while I was at it.

Be careful. The 10 speed cassette is actually narrower than the 9 speed ones. That's why the ten speed uses a spacer and the the nine requires none.

Not sure how that affects 11 speed, but is something to consider... If you're not sure, take it your lbs to check it out...