Jailbreak 2013

Snytjie

Heita,

So, Jailbreak 2013 becomes another sold out tri in 2013 (bar unpaid entries which have 24 hours to respond). Demand is certainly right up there for tri's!

How are the final stages of training going?

And for us first timers, what can we expect? Heat? It's my first 70.3 and I'm a bit worried about the potential temperature on a typical 6 December day in Worcester...

I saw a three year old blog with a different bike route description from where it is now (up past Rawsonville towards Slanghoek vs the current one around the dam). Is the current route the same as last year?

Edited by Snytjie

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a toughie - I would say the max is far mentally tougher than the 70.3.

Very few spectators on the run course, flat and windy bike, and a pretty competitive field.

Also very hot - remember it hitting 35 degrees on the run 2 years ago.

The shorter one overlaps the max in time and routes and looks a vibe (have yet to do the short one)

Awesome race, very well organised and great routes.

Going to be a goodie!!

Edited by Sidekick Racer

Hot hot hot! Did the mini as prep for 70.3 this year.

The course i pretty flat, but the wind can hammer you. I suffered like mad on the run as it was pretty hot.

AAh no, is it sold out already :blush: both the mini and the max??

Facebook site says it's out, and they gave instruction to unpaid registrations to pay within 24 hours. No doubt some won't pay so make sure your name gets on a waiting list.

What they said. Windy on the cycle and hot on the run. I still have my triathlon tan from last year.

At least all three legs of the event are flat.

Rode the bike course yesterday. It was only 27 degrees, but I felt it by 11:00. I didn't particularly feel like running 21km when I finished riding... Very scenic though: that part of the valley is very beautiful.

There was also a 25-30km/h wind at times, but it was not nearly as challenging as the heat. In fact, I bloody hope the wind blows on race day!

I have another question which to which there is no response on the FB page: What was access like to the prison grounds last year? My wife is staying at a guesthouse on the route, and I'm trying to find out if she will be able to get in and out during the race...

Edited by Snytjie

Rode the bike course yesterday. It was only 27 degrees, but I felt it by 11:00. I didn't particularly feel like running 21km when I finished riding... Very scenic though: that part of the valley is very beautiful.

There was also a 25-30km/h wind at times, but it was not nearly as challenging as the heat. In fact, I bloody hope the wind blows on race day!

I have another question which to which there is no response on the FB page: What was access like to the prison grounds last year? My wife is staying at a guesthouse on the route, and I'm trying to find out if she will be able to get in and out during the race...

Usually can come and go freely.

Last year all the prisoners visitors were arriving during the race, which I have never experienced to be an issue as it is handled extremely well but one of the reasons for the day change this year.

As long as it is the same as previous years she should be able to leave and then return.

• 2 weeks later...