Moonlight mass - Canceled indefinitely!!!

Icycling

This is why I don't ride the moonlight mass anymore. It is attended mostly by people that have zero respect for cycling safety! 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We drove past the mass last night.  Really great to see its started up again, but sad to see the conduct of the riders.  Lots without any lights or helmets, cycling with no regard to motorists.  

Was a fair better turn-out than I thought.   Great camaraderie too.  

The problem is that it was nothing more than a critical mass, and people riding thought it was a moonlight mass.   ie.   moonlight has the robots blocked and you go through, critical means you actually have to stop.   I dont think many people knew this.

But that said - it was actually very good.  I'd venture a guess to say that 90%+ of people had helmets and 75%+ had lights, or at least a flashing red light.

Turnout was decent, and with a little more word-of-mouth could have easily touched 500 riders.  I think there were probably around 150 to 200. 

The point is:  people want to do this, and it's great fun and something to do once a month, so it would be great to get it started again.  I'm happy to assist, we work with the city on other projects and I can escalate to mayoral level very very quickly.  

Last night's ride I think kick-started this process, and now we have 3 weeks to make it happen properly, and also get everyone out.  

Thoughts?

Once that's done, I'll tackle Tokai. LOL  :eek:  :ph34r:  :w00t:

Moonlight mass cycles past my place. 

Last month there was no Law Enforcement to assist.

But that said - it was actually very good.  I'd venture a guess to say that 90%  50% (if that) of people had helmets and 75%  40%+ had lights, or at least a flashing red light (Some on the front of the bike WTF).

To add to the chaos people were swerving all over the road and riding as much as 4 abreast. 

Keep this up and someone is going to get hurt, mark my words. 

Archived