Moonlight mass - Canceled indefinitely!!!

Icycling

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never understood why it actually needed 'organisers' in the first place. Not like (Cape town) critical mass has one 'officially', just go ride your bike and stop at the reds.

Agreed!!! Off the top of my head as soon as you have organized more than 6 cyclist to ride together you meant to get permission! That rule seems a bit odd

The city should be doing more for these type of events - 1 day they talking of making Cape Town a cycle friendly city and a Tourist cycle world destination hot spot - then within a few days they shut it down / well part of it!!!! seems like not much political will.

I personally feel moonlight mass took over from the original role of the Cape Argus Pick 'n Pay cycle tour - a "protest / cycle awareness ride"

If you read the City Council letter, it says that their requests for a meeting to address safety concerns were ignored by the organizers. Is this true? Or are the city burocrats just too dense to accommodate an event that is a bit different?

Whoever is to blame, it is very sad to see this amazing event ended.

I hope it will go on regardless, perhaps as a real protest?

Agreed!!! Off the top of my head as soon as you have organized more than 6 cyclist to ride together you meant to get permission! That rule seems a bit odd

The city should be doing more for these type of events - 1 day they talking of making Cape Town a cycle friendly city and a Tourist cycle world destination hot spot - then within a few days they shut it down / well part of it!!!! seems like not much political will.

I personally feel moonlight mass took over from the original role of the Cape Argus Pick 'n Pay cycle tour - a "protest / cycle awareness ride"

Damned ... our Wednesday morning rides are always more than six people and heck, even our commutes to work and back can be more than six people.

"Accordingly, the Event Permit for the hosting of the #Moonlightmass event has been withdrawn

forthwith, pending the Event Organiser meeting with the city’s Event Co-ordination Committee and the

resolution of the public safety concerns associated with the event"

Quote from official letter.

that's it Hairy, the city wants you back in your car to go to work in the CBD!

Not really hey. The CT city is actually very Pro pedestrianisation and cycling in the city vs getting more cars on the road.

that's it Hairy, the city wants you back in your car to go to work in the CBD!

Nope. They are all for using alternative means of transport than your car. That is why they have the bike lanes, the BRT, the fan walk, etc

Its sad that this got stopped but we are not hearing the whole truth. Till then, my judgment and condemnation of this story is withheld.

I have noted that they organizers have praised PPA in their statement - I wonder if PPA has been willing to use as much legal muscle in this cause as they have done in their fight against CSA! That case is with a National cycling Federation back by NOCSA - this one is just with a city run by the DA - even Helen Zille has done moonlight mass

Surely moonlight mass is far more in line with what PPa claim to be about mass participation etc or because its done for zero monetary gain is not important to PPA?

serious sarcasm smiley required, was referring to the supposed rule about groups of 6 people requiring a permit.....

im sure money comes somewhere into the equation here, I remember my old man mentioning how they get pressure each year when they use maynardville for the toy run to start charging an entrance fee, currently its free to get in, but as soon as you charge an entry fee, the City gets a cut......

I have noted that they organizers have praised PPA in their statement - I wonder if PPA has been willing to use as much legal muscle in this cause as they have done in their fight against CSA! That case is with a National cycling Federation back by NOCSA - this one is just with a city run by the DA - even Helen Zille has done moonlight mass

Surely moonlight mass is far more in line with what PPa claim to be about mass participation etc or because its done for zero monetary gain is not important to PPA?

Maybe it was a small issue that could have been resolved.Route change?times? etc etc

Most issues can be resolved thru dialogue

i never took part in the moonlight or critical mass protests as it seemed to be more of a mob mentality thing. i believe there was minimal traffic control during these events and was just about a free for all with no control.

there are so many club rides with bunches in excess of 30 riders, must we apply for permission to ride every saturday and sunday now?

Archived