2013 Trek Superfly 100 Elite SL Feedback

Vintage Vespa

Can the guys that own a bike like this or has owned one, please give me some feedback?

i am told that its a good horse for something like the epic, but since reading the following review i am in doubt?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/trek-superfly-100-elite-sl-review

i have always ridden HT, so i am scared of the following:

"Such handling traits would generally be no big deal in the Superfly 100's intended context of cross-country racing, where speeds are usually higher and there often aren't as many technical features as in general trail riding or enduro. However, the Superfly also doesn't pedal that efficiently, either.

Switching the Fox Float CTD rear shock to its middle Trail setting is a must nearly any time pedaling is required, and we frequently resorted to the firmest Climb position even on short sections of fireroad. We saved the fully open Descend setting for extended downhills only. Otherwise, there's far too much movement and a somewhat dull feel under power, particularly when you're hammering along in the big ring.

Nor did we find the Superfly 100 Elite SL's new carbon fiber frame particularly rigid. Front triangle stiffness is admittedly quite good, with the large diameter, nominally round main frame cross-sections and tapered head tube.

That's largely squandered out back, though, with an appreciable amount of out-of-plane flex, particularly in high-load situations such as bermed corners or excessively rough sections of trail. Here, instead of the rear wheel tracking precisely behind the front one, we repeatedly noticed the rear loading up – only to spring back when unloaded, which occasionally sent us off-line.

One simple test verified our suspicions, too: stand beside the Superfly 100 Elite SL with one hand atop the rear tire and the other on the saddle, push forward on one side while pulling back on the other, and you can see the top of the seat stays moving side to side relative to the seat tube more easily than one would expect from a bike of this caliber.

We should note that two BikeRadar testers independently came to identical conclusions on two separate test samples. Naturally"

Please advise your thoughts / experiences with this bike on the trails?

Cheers,

Hi There

No bites I see? I build up a 2011 version of the bike (frame) you looking at. So not sure how much the frame has been updated/changed compared to the current version.

My build more or less: Rockshox SID fork, rear Fox RP23, bars, seatpost stem carbon from Booth, brakes from Evocycles (Carbon Dash TRP), XX1 groupset, and built up some hubs I had (Hope Evo 2) : weight with extra slime pedals etc = 10,5kg

Use solely for XCO.

I believe the bike you looking at is around 54K? If I had that money to spend on a bike I would shop around a little more. Also see if you can get a "ride before you buy" option at a LBS.

I went with the Trek as got the frame for a good deal - and I am very happy with the stiffness.

Would you like more feedback re the Trek? Would it even help you - seem like different (though similar frames) and different usage you have in mind.

Hi Greg,

If you say shop around a bit more...what do you know of in that price range that i can compare? i think i should get a ride before i buy organised, maybe that will help, ja!

you say you use it for XCO where i will be using it for stage races, as i still race a 26" HT at alll the XCO races i do. so ja maybe the usage i intend to use it for is a bit different from you usage.

But thanks for the feedback, anyway.

Cheers,

Hi there

Have just moved from a 26HT to a 29er Full Sus myself. Still ride the HT now and then I must say.

My knowledge is a little limited re prices (I would suggest a post along the lines of : what to buy for 50K - that will get things going nicely I am sure. There are some very experienced riders and shop owners etc on the hub)

Some options I would perhaps look at is (complete bikes) : Giant (excellent suspension - prob better than the Trek) and Meridas (this suspension rides more like a slightly softened hard tail). These are the bigger commercial brands. Local - Momsens seem well priced, though this is debated on the hub.

Frames and builds : Tall Boy, Niners and PYGAs could be within your range too. I have always build up my bikes, starting with a good frame. I then get what I want on the bike from the get go... It does take some time.

I am enjoying the Trek I must say. The bike is really stiff. It goes where I point it no questions asked. Have ridden varied terrain from Thabo to Benoni Plots (flat). Took some time to get the rear shock the way I want it, but essentially have it open all the time. Enjoy the traction going up short sharp ups. For the downs, just need it to take the edge off a little. On the longer steady climbs have to watch my pedal stroke, if that makes sense, need to make sure I am spinning and not pushing.

Hope this helps

other options : Bicycling Mag has been running some issues that include 29er shootouts. You should be able to get these online still.

doing ten things here at the same time - hence the one liner posts

Suppose what was trying to say is, personally think you won't go wrong with the Trek (I am enjoying mine tremendously with no complaints), but just shop around a little. That price points will give you a number of very good options to choose from.

Good luck with the bike hunting then.

Regards Greg

Ek het amper 'n Trek gekoop. Toe ek 10min later by 'n ander bike shop instap toe vra ek wat hulle dink van Trek, toe is altwee ouens se oe groot en se hulle sal eers wag voordat hulle Trek sal koop, want Trek is nou al deur 2 (weet nie wat om dit te noem nie) 'verskaffers' in die laaste 2 jaar en niemand weet of die nuwe kopers die raam waarborg gaan hou nie, gaan hoor maar by ander ouens wat in die industrie werk wat hulle mening is. Ek weet van 'n ou wat 'n Superly gekoop het (weet nie of dit carbon is nie) maar daai raam is nogal strek, hy het 110kmh gery op die hiway en toe val sy fiets van die rak af en net sy handle bar, seat en een brake lever het gebreek, en nie 'n skrapie of 'n kraak nie.

Ek het amper 'n Trek gekoop. Toe ek 10min later by 'n ander bike shop instap toe vra ek wat hulle dink van Trek, toe is altwee ouens se oe groot en se hulle sal eers wag voordat hulle Trek sal koop, want Trek is nou al deur 2 (weet nie wat om dit te noem nie) 'verskaffers' in die laaste 2 jaar en niemand weet of die nuwe kopers die raam waarborg gaan hou nie, gaan hoor maar by ander ouens wat in die industrie werk wat hulle mening is. Ek weet van 'n ou wat 'n Superly gekoop het (weet nie of dit carbon is nie) maar daai raam is nogal strek, hy het 110kmh gery op die hiway en toe val sy fiets van die rak af en net sy handle bar, seat en een brake lever het gebreek, en nie 'n skrapie of 'n kraak nie.

Anyone know who the distributors for Trek are in SA?

The distributors don't warranty the bike. TREK carry tha warranty and their frames have a lifetime warranty to the 1st owner. so the bikeshop don't know what they talking about.

Can the guys that own a bike like this or has owned one, please give me some feedback?

i am told that its a good horse for something like the epic, but since reading the following review i am in doubt?

http://www.cyclingne...elite-sl-review

i have always ridden HT, so i am scared of the following:

"Such handling traits would generally be no big deal in the Superfly 100's intended context of cross-country racing, where speeds are usually higher and there often aren't as many technical features as in general trail riding or enduro. However, the Superfly also doesn't pedal that efficiently, either.

Switching the Fox Float CTD rear shock to its middle Trail setting is a must nearly any time pedaling is required, and we frequently resorted to the firmest Climb position even on short sections of fireroad. We saved the fully open Descend setting for extended downhills only. Otherwise, there's far too much movement and a somewhat dull feel under power, particularly when you're hammering along in the big ring.

Nor did we find the Superfly 100 Elite SL's new carbon fiber frame particularly rigid. Front triangle stiffness is admittedly quite good, with the large diameter, nominally round main frame cross-sections and tapered head tube.

That's largely squandered out back, though, with an appreciable amount of out-of-plane flex, particularly in high-load situations such as bermed corners or excessively rough sections of trail. Here, instead of the rear wheel tracking precisely behind the front one, we repeatedly noticed the rear loading up – only to spring back when unloaded, which occasionally sent us off-line.

One simple test verified our suspicions, too: stand beside the Superfly 100 Elite SL with one hand atop the rear tire and the other on the saddle, push forward on one side while pulling back on the other, and you can see the top of the seat stays moving side to side relative to the seat tube more easily than one would expect from a bike of this caliber.

We should note that two BikeRadar testers independently came to identical conclusions on two separate test samples. Naturally"

Please advise your thoughts / experiences with this bike on the trails?

Cheers,

I've owned a Trek 100 Superfly full carbon FS for over a year now. It's true what these guys are saying, but i dont believe its the seat stays, and i'v done this same test as i felt the back end very flexy in the corners. I believe it's the Bonti wheels that are supper flexy.

I changed mine out for ZTR FLOW with HOPE hubs and did the rear axle conversion to 12mm maxle which gave a huge improvement.

I wanted to keep the Bonti rims as spare, so i chucked out the crap shitmano hub which gave endless problems with the cones always coming loose and replaced with a HOPE hub and had yellow saddle rebuild the wheel which when done was a lot stiffer.

I think the standard rims are not built that great, they need to be tightened.

A new problem raised it's head recently. the bike started creaking while climbing. From experience a creaking carbon frame means something loose or a crack somewhere. Stripped the bike and sprayed the frame with penetrating oil and started flexing it all over to look for cracks.

I found the aluminium sleeve in the chainstay bottom pivot on the frame is loose or busy cracking out of the frame. so i will submit a warranty claim for new frame. According to superfly owners on MTBr forum TREK will warranty it fully. the 2011 sleeves were pressfitted into the frame, the 2012 were bonded and both gave problems, the 2013 models have resolved the issue. Mines a 2012 model.