Ironman SA - New Bike Route

SUPA

Thoughts on the new bike route for IMSA 2014?

Should people who entered thinking it was a 'flat' course be allowed a refund if they aren't amped to climb?

If perfect conditions, how much time will it add to the average age grouper?

Hmmmm, New course = automatic new pb?

I think if you embark on such a challenge you will do it regardless of the increase in elevation...

Thoughts on the new bike route for IMSA 2014?

Should people who entered thinking it was a 'flat' course be allowed a refund if they aren't amped to climb?

If perfect conditions, how much time will it add to the average age grouper?

Not sure what it would add to avg rider but it is doable to anyone that trains.

It changes the cycle quite significantly,particularly the Lake farm climb.Do not under estimate the climb along Kragga Kamma road to Cows corner either.The Maitlands climb is also quite tough.

It is difficult to say what it will add to the time as it also now has some fast descents.At a guess for an average cyclist I would say 30-40 minutes

I hate climbing, but if I had to choose one climb I would choose Maitlands over and over. The views you have from there are really amazing and before you know it you are at the top. Once you at the top you are rewarded with a nice down hill

Edited by fabes

The road surface doesnt look that great. Can you safely open the taps on the new downhill sections?

The road surface doesnt look that great. Can you safely open the taps on the new downhill sections?

You can, it is a bit bumpy down Maitlands tho. Having said that i Have gone down there close to 80km/h before. Others go faster down there Edited by fabes

• 4 weeks later...

The new route will reward you with a beautiful view, but the road surface...

down Maitlands you can do 70km/h without too much effort and without going down on your bars.

Good luck for the run after that cycle.