Calling Garmin Guru’s: Tracks on 705 vs 805/810

Tieffels

I’ve had a 705 for a number of years now and absolutely love it. It’s better that tubeless tires, better than disk brakes.. It’s the shizznezz. I mainly use it for adventure riding, remote tracks (MTB and Motorbike) that I map via Google Earth (.KLM file > .GBD file via GPS Babel). Now I’m worried that the unit is not going to last forever and I’m at a loss for deciding what to replace it with. I’m strongly considering buying another 705 while I still can and storing it until I need to replace mine.

Now, what about the 805/wherever the latest edition is, PURELY from a mapping/riding tracks point of view? The reason I ask is that a friend of mine took her 805 along on a Swazi trip and had a hell of a time getting the tracks loaded on her unit, something that is an non-event for me. Also, the odd track that she eventually managed to convert to a route, was a nightmare to follow on the bike as the unit kept trying to direct you the whole time. This was my limited experience of the 805, did I miss the boat completely?

All I want from the unit is to firstly accept and then display the TRACK on the screen as a pink/green/blue line, and I just make sure I stay on it.

Something like an Etrex is also an alternative, but I like the simplicity/size of the 705. I welcome all suggestions/experiences.

Not to sound cocky, but if you don’t know the difference between a route and a track, please add this as a disclaimer when contributing.

I also have a 705 and got lost several times in the bundoes, maybe it's me who programmed the route wrong but I don't trust my 705.

I also have a 705 and got lost several times in the bundoes, maybe it's me who programmed the route wrong but I don't trust my 705.

IMPOSSIBLE!!! Chuck Norris will get lost before a 705.

I normally plan my routes on Mapsource, use Garmin street maps 2009 and Tracks for Africa, the problem is that the GPS informs me of a turn coming up but there is no turn, the route carries on straight, could be the way I planned the route by clicking along the route and that gets transferred as a way point and seen as a turn.

I normally plan my routes on Mapsource, use Garmin street maps 2009 and Tracks for Africa, the problem is that the GPS informs me of a turn coming up but there is no turn, the route carries on straight, could be the way I planned the route by clicking along the route and that gets transferred as a way point and seen as a turn.

Fundamental difference is you're riding ROUTES. They are ***, I ride TRACKS. I want to know about tracks on the 805.

Routes are based on existing mapped roads as part of your T4A or Garmap maps etc. You use waypoints to create routes, and the mapping software calculates the route in between your waypoints. They are limited by the fact that you need existing mapped paths to create the route on between said waypoints. They are gay. You're limited to roads that someone mapped already. But your GPS unit can recognize when you are on or off the route, when turns are coming up etc and interacts with you. This is quite annoying 99% of the time though.

Tracks are simple breadcrumbs, a straight line between multiple points. I create these points by spending an alarming amount of time on Google Earth mapping a track one mouse click (crumb) at a time. When I've loaded my track to the GPS, I have to continuously make sure i'm on it by visually checking my position relative to the track on the map screen of my GPS. The GPS will not recognise it when I leave the track. It's almost like following say a contour line on your display. Tracks are the business. Effort to create, always worth it to ride, even if you donnor down a unridable donga that looked lekker on Google Earth.

So due to their nature, tracks tend to be way off the beaten track, as most tar roads are mapped on your Garmnap/T4A thesedays.

Not sure why, but I'm battling to load a .kml and .gdb file as example. But in Mapsource, there is a tab for Routes and one for Tracks. To create tracks you just drag the cursor. Try it, you'll see the difference. But to create a meaningful track, you must have something like Google Earth to evaluate the terrain.

I'm talking about stitching together cattle tracks and footpaths in Lesotho/Swaziland/Transkei. And then riding it.

I use an Oregon when riding off beaten track. Apart from being a pukka gps I like the fact that it uses AA batteries. Full Mapsource functionality, routes, tracks etc. a bit chunky but not a problem.

I also had the Garmin 705 since 2008. Had no problems with it. I recently upgraded to the 810, very different in the touch screen. But I love the upgrade.

I also had the Garmin 705 since 2008. Had no problems with it. I recently upgraded to the 810, very different in the touch screen. But I love the upgrade.

I'm sure the 810 is nice. But please elaborate, why do you love the upgrade? Have garmin perhaps fixed the bug whereby you have to restart the unit if you change the visibility status and colours on a number of tracks displayed simultaneously?

My question remains, how well does it handle tracks? My perception is that Garmin realized that very few 705 users actually uses tracks - I think the era of tracks has come and gone as GPS maps have become more detailed and comprehensive, making routes more appealing to 99% of users. Because what worked on my 705 did not work on the 810.

I use an Oregon when riding off beaten track. Apart from being a pukka gps I like the fact that it uses AA batteries. Full Mapsource functionality, routes, tracks etc. a bit chunky but not a problem.

I also like the AA batteries. Keeping the unit charged on multiday (FC type) rides became problematic, but there are fixes. I know the Oregon can do what I want, but is a bit on the expensive side. Then I'll rather get the Etrex 20 or 30. What additional features do you use on the Oregon that the Etrex does not have?

I also like the AA batteries. Keeping the unit charged on multiday (FC type) rides became problematic, but there are fixes. I know the Oregon can do what I want, but is a bit on the expensive side. Then I'll rather get the Etrex 20 or 30. What additional features do you use on the Oregon that the Etrex does not have?

Not familiar with new Etrex as my previous one was old but I use my Oregon as an all round gps. Car, boat, hike, ride anywhere I think I need it. Full mapping and routing when I need it.

My Oregon is the 300 which they dont make any more. Seems like the Etrex fill that gap.

If it wasnt for battery life and needing it in emergencies there are apps for the iPhone that can do tracks.

Whatever route I want to do I use Garmin connect and send it to my device. With the 810 if you have a smart phone you are able to plot your route on your phone & send it to your device. Auto scroll is a lovely function which the 705 did not have. I just what to ride click start & don't want to touch it while I ride. Multi profile for different bikes & different activities.

Whatever route I want to do I use Garmin connect and send it to my device. With the 810 if you have a smart phone you are able to plot your route on your phone & send it to your device. Auto scroll is a lovely function which the 705 did not have. I just what to ride click start & don't want to touch it while I ride. Multi profile for different bikes & different activities.

Sounds lekker, but again I have very little use for routes and hardly ever use Garmin Connect. If I use internet based routes, I'll first chuck them into Google Earth, edit as required and then load as a track onto my GPS. Hence my relentless pursuit of the topic.

I'd send your query to Ken Bolton at gps warehouse. He does gps training and sells the stuff so can probably give you the best advice.