Chain Slap.

Caerus

Hi Caerus. As you don't mention the technical specs of your bike, I'll just address the basics to check for.

1. Chain being too long will only matter when the smallest chain ring is in use.

2. Older dual pivot Shimano rear derailleurs has more free movement than the single pivot versions of Sram or the newer Shimano range. If you have the older versions, which I doubt, then an upgrade could fix your problem.

3. Rear hub free wheel(body), this could be worn causing extra slack on your chain, or if this was serviced recently, it may be a bit sticky and not as "free" as it should be. Easy test, lift rear wheel off ground, pedal in normal direction with one hand, then while wheel is still in motion, pedal backwards while observing chain line slack on chain stay.

Hope that helps, if it doesn't, find a new LBS to help you.

Regards

Used to hold my sons rear reflector on his bike. Just took that off warmed up some hose pulled it over and zip tied it on..

Nice! I love it when a homemade plan works like a charm :)

OP has a 3X9 setup, there are unfortunately no clutch derailluers available for this. If the chain has recently been replaced i would blame that as the culprit. put the bike in smallest cog front and rear making sure the chain is still under tension and not hanging loose.

Yup, clutch RD's were the reason I eventually went to 10sp...

But besides the upgrade route... there is another option to run a clutch RD... if one is currently running SRAM.

The "sramano' setup just requres the purchase of a shimano clutch RD and less than R10 worth of fasteners from one's local Builders Warehouse.

I had a whole thread on this, detailing what I did, and how it worked after some test riding. But basically, SRAM 1:1 9sp shifters (so X7 - X0) can work witn a shimano 10sp clutch RD (which has an actuation ratio of 1:1.1). The system will still be 9sp, but one does get te benefit of a clutch RD (and they don't need to fork out cash for a new chain, shifter, and cassette required).

Myself and Super_mil run such setups rather sucessfully. I think Flowta still does. My sramano setup did a sani2c without any hassle. The only reason I changed was I wanted the 9sp X0 shifter for another bike, so saw it as an opportunity to go 10sp.

Anyway, so if one is running SRAM 9sp shifters, and they're willing to buy a shimano clutch RD (long cage)... and spend about an hour fine tuning... (the downside, but worth it), they can run a clutch RD on a 3x9 setup

Guest Omega Man

But besides the upgrade route... there is another option to run a clutch RD... if one is currently running SRAM.

The "sramano' setup just requres the purchase of a shimano clutch RD and less than R10 worth of fasteners from one's local Builders Warehouse.

I had a whole thread on this, detailing what I did, and how it worked after some test riding. But basically, SRAM 1:1 9sp shifters (so X7 - X0) can work witn a shimano 10sp clutch RD (which has an actuation ratio of 1:1.1). The system will still be 9sp, but one does get te benefit of a clutch RD (and they don't need to fork out cash for a new chain, shifter, and cassette required).

Myself and Super_mil run such setups rather sucessfully. I think Flowta still does. My sramano setup did a sani2c without any hassle. The only reason I changed was I wanted the 9sp X0 shifter for another bike, so saw it as an opportunity to go 10sp.

Anyway, so if one is running SRAM 9sp shifters, and they're willing to buy a shimano clutch RD (long cage)... and spend about an hour fine tuning... (the downside, but worth it), they can run a clutch RD on a 3x9 setup

I'm running it on my DH bike and so are 2 of my mates X0 Shifter (9 Speed) Zee Derailleur. No spacers and it works fine.

I read about this today online. I'm currently running Shimano shifters and rear derailleur and crankset. The crank has not done much mileage, unfortunately everything on my bike is still fairly new. So kind of stuck between a rock and hard place at the moment.

Any other suggestions, I'm gonna take it into Cycle Factory tomorrow and see if they can tell me what is happening, my fork is also due a service, doh, and funds are tight at the moment for bike parts as I just got myself a road bike and new wheels.

There is a screw at the back of the deraileur - parralell to the direction of travel of the bike - think its called the b screw, maybe the c screw - tightening it adds tension to the deraileur - tru that first.