Bike Setup - Top Tube Length

RockSpider85

Hi Guys!!

Just want your opinion on this.

I should be riding with a top tube of 570mm and my top tube length is 594mm. Is it worth it to replace my frame for a 24mm difference?

Ride a Giant XTC Advanced SL 29er Medium Hardtail

Thanks

:huh:

A small would probably be better suited for you. How long is the stem? If the bike doesn't feel too big / cumbersome you could perhaps just put a shorter stem on it, but it will affect the handling. Worth trying I think.

Currently have a 90mm stem on and it is negative.

We wanted my handlebars lower than my seat but can just get it level with the negative stem.

This will now be my thing do I try a shorter stem and see or will I gain actually alot from buying a new frame....

the frame is 6 months old aai.

The frame is probably too big for you unfortunately. 24mm may not sound like much but it makes a big difference in top tube length.

A small would probably be better suited for you. How long is the stem? If the bike doesn't feel too big / cumbersome you could perhaps just put a shorter stem on it, but it will affect the handling. Worth trying I think.

In a good way!!

1. What stem length are you using?

2. How is your saddle setback/knee over foot/axle position?

if 2 is good & you can go shorter on 1, saves you replacing frame, steering may become more sensitive, 24mm is quite a bit unless you on a 100mm or longer stem

if 2 is out, you'll need to go to a smaller frame, it'll also improve power, i had to replace seatposts to get it all right but i believe my power has improved for it

I think you will be more comfy on a smaller frame. See if you can take one from a bike shop for a demo ride. But give the shorter stem a try as well and see which option works for you.

Edited by Jacquers

The frame is probably too big for you unfortunately. 24mm may not sound like much but it makes a big difference in top tube length.

In a good way!!

Yeah, I've seen a couple of posts suggesting of going for a longer toptube and shorter stem. Keen to try it for my next bike (take a large frame instead of medium and put a short stem on it). But with LadyCrash standover might be an issue?

Yeah, I've seen a couple of posts suggesting of going for a longer toptube and shorter stem. Keen to try it for my next bike (take a large frame instead of medium and put a short stem on it). But with LadyCrash standover might be an issue?

Even try your usual frame size and go with shorter stem and wider bars (700mm or more). The short stem will push you back a bit but the wide bars will compensate by bringing your body weight forward and lower. The wide bars give you more control and at the same time you get much faster steering due to the short stem.

Edited by SLiiick

Standover heigth on the Giant medium that I have is 75.4cm and the small has 72.4cm...

Hmmmm very nice and expensive mistake that I made here grrrr.

Going for a re assessment of my ergo fit and lets see... but think it is going to come down to replacing the frame :wacko:

Standover heigth on the Giant medium that I have is 75.4cm and the small has 72.4cm...

Hmmmm very nice and expensive mistake that I made here grrrr.

Going for a re assessment of my ergo fit and lets see... but think it is going to come down to replacing the frame :wacko:

Not necessarily. A long as stand over is okay and your saddle for / aft isn't compromised you can just run a shorter stem. Ergofit says i must ride a 580mm (med) top tube with 90 or 100mm stem. Would be a disaster for the type of riding I do. I ride a large with a 65mm stem

Will keep you guys up to speed with what is happening....going thursday again to ergo fit and lets see....

Dont want to replace frame hmmf

@ 163 you're 3cm shorter than me. My length is in my torso, so longer stems on bikes is the future for me if i get my knee over pedal right.

I'm currently on a medium frame (think a 17") but after fitting with Retul, i should be on a Small to get my knee over pedal axle "even more right".

definately get a smaller frame, i'm 168cm and i'm on an 18inch even with a 60mm stem, after more than a year of riding it i have chronic back pain. its not funny, get a smaller bike.

Edited by bobbejaan

I'm 165cm and ride a small (15.5") with a 50mm stem. Had an 80mm stem, but because of lower back problem I need to sit more upright. 80mm killed my back, went to 50mm and what a difference!! I think at 163 you should be on a small frame.