Trek Top Fuel 5 vs Scott Spark 970

Jo Han Solo

I've managed to find stock of both these bikes in my size (first problem to have solved), around R5000 price difference between Top Fuel 5 at R40k and Spark 970 at R 45k.  I really like the look of the Spark, that it is probably a better climber and bit more more of a XC bike than the Top Fuel. That said, the Trek has a better fork based on feedback from some forum posts.  Which one to go for? 

For me (which is not at all scientific or based on spreadsheets and number) if you are asking these questions, my advice is to get the one you like the most.

Both are 'good bikes' and you won't be buying a lemon either way. If you are asking these questions, you probably aren't at the point in your riding where the tiny details and 4% difference in some parts is going to be your bottle neck, so again, get the one you like the most.

Ride both and get the one you like the most.

One can haggle, argue, counter punch and debate as much as you want to, but in reality, the bike that gives you the fuzzy tinkles and makes you want to ride is the best bike for you.

Again, massive assumption, but if you were riding on percentages, you would already likely have a very strong opinion of what you want and why.

Pretty sure they have the same fork at those models anyway, the TopFuel 7 at R50k is substantially better specced, but stock will probably be an issue

Also, as far as the Spark goes, I would go for the 960 over the 970, 960 has Shimano Deore drivetrain, which in my opinion is far superior to the SRAM SX on the 970

Really great comments, thanks all.  The Trek warranty definitively seems superior to that of Scott, and probably makes resale later one much easier.  I would agree Deore would be my preference as well and the Top Fuel 5 already gives that to me. As for the additional R10k to go from the Top Fuel 5 to 7, need to justify that to my pocket. How much value will I get? For all purposes, as Jewbacca posted I am not in the league where these minor differences in components will impact me. There is stock available from my store in both the 5 and 7.

10 hours ago, Jo Han Solo said:

Really great comments, thanks all.  The Trek warranty definitively seems superior to that of Scott, and probably makes resale later one much easier.  I would agree Deore would be my preference as well and the Top Fuel 5 already gives that to me. As for the additional R10k to go from the Top Fuel 5 to 7, need to justify that to my pocket. How much value will I get? For all purposes, as Jewbacca posted I am not in the league where these minor differences in components will impact me. There is stock available from my store in both the 5 and 7.

Suspension is the Largest difference between the two 

You also get much better hubs on the 7 which are upgradeable to the top of the line internals 

7 is also nearly 1kg lighter 

2 hours ago, Jo Han Solo said:

The lifetime warantee is NOT transferable ,,, second owner only gets a limited warantee, for 3 years.  So that wont make much of an impact on the resale value.

The lifetime warantee may be a deal breaker for YOU.

PERSONALLY - the dual lock-out suspension on the Scott is a WINNER !!!  (this is a VERY personal thing, with some LOVING it, others never swayed by this)

Jewbacca is 100% ... ride both, and get the one that puts a smile on YOUR face.

Agree with Chris. The first time i felt the twinlock i was, you had me at hallo..............When you lock out, you lock out, no movement. So awesome, feels like a hardtail. Then you get peeps who never adjust or use different settings no matter what terrain. But its your choice, go and test them both.  

5 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

For me (which is not at all scientific or based on spreadsheets and number) if you are asking these questions, my advice is to get the one you like the most.

Both are 'good bikes' and you won't be buying a lemon either way. If you are asking these questions, you probably aren't at the point in your riding where the tiny details and 4% difference in some parts is going to be your bottle neck, so again, get the one you like the most.

Ride both and get the one you like the most.

One can haggle, argue, counter punch and debate as much as you want to, but in reality, the bike that gives you the fuzzy tinkles and makes you want to ride is the best bike for you.

Again, massive assumption, but if you were riding on percentages, you would already likely have a very strong opinion of what you want and why.

I'm a fan of @Jewbecca. Always good advice. 

13 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

What do these cost ?

EDIT - Solomons Cycles shows prices in the mid 40's .... but no stock.

Quick google did not find stock ....

Thought of Titan as a left field option, for that price, I would do it hands down.

Titan looks interesting, but seems there is no stock, dealers seem to have no ETA either. 

Edited by Jo Han Solo

21 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Pretty sure they have the same fork at those models anyway, the TopFuel 7 at R50k is substantially better specced, but stock will probably be an issue

Also, as far as the Spark goes, I would go for the 960 over the 970, 960 has Shimano Deore drivetrain, which in my opinion is far superior to the SRAM SX on the 970

Been waiting 3 months for my Top Fuel 7, so yes stock is a problem. My wife's arrived in SA last week, just waiting for mine to come now, Might arrive end of January, but who knows.

Sprocket and Jack in Joburg have been fantastic with their communication during this whole process i must admit, try to keep me happy for over 3 months now has definitely been a challenge.

23 minutes ago, Jase619 said:

Been waiting 3 months for my Top Fuel 7, so yes stock is a problem. My wife's arrived in SA last week, just waiting for mine to come now, Might arrive end of January, but who knows.

Sprocket and Jack in Joburg have been fantastic with their communication during this whole process i must admit, try to keep me happy for over 3 months now has definitely been a challenge.

That sucks man, I didnt even actually place an order, I enquired about the TopFuel 5 in October or November at a number of places, S&J being one of them, they said no stock is available but they will keep in touch, that was the last I heard from them....

Also contacted Bicycle Line, Kirsten got back to me, gave an ETA on their arrival, they landed about 2 weeks ahead of schedule, but I decided to wait for the 7 instead, she told me I would be looking at March arrival, then come 13 December, she called me, said they have stock, and I got my Green Swamp Monster the following week, I actually feel really *** in a way because you had ordered one before I even started looking at them and I have mine already, but then I ride it and I love it so much that those bad feelings go away 🤣🤣🤣