Which BB for a Giant TCR Composite (PowerCore) and Campagnolo Record Ultra Torque crankset?

MTBer01

Can someone please confirm for me which BB I need to use on a Giant TCR Composite (PowerCore) with a Campagnolo Record Ultra Torque crankset (compact, not sure if this makes a difference).

I currently have a Shimano Ultegra HollowTech 2 crankset (6600) with pressfit BB.

From what I've learned this is referred to as a BB86, but I'm not 100% sure which BB to get and I can't afford buying the wrong BB.

Also, I have outboard BB cups that I got with the crank and it has bearings with it. Can I use these bearings or do I have to buy other bearings too?

This is what I have learned. BB86 (which is what Giant uses), Shell width 86.5mm, spindle diameter 24mm. It's confusing that it is also referred to as BB30 sometimes.

So I found: Partnumber CPB005 Ultra Torque BB30 86x41. What is 41? Is this correct?

During my research I also found that BB86 and BB30 loose their fit and has to be Loctite(d) 641. Any comments?

As far as I know, BB86 and BB30 is not the same thing. The pressfit BB Giant uses is made to fit cranksets that use extarnal/ screw in BBs. BB30 is also a pressfit BB, but either larger or smaller in diameter (not sure which) and the cranksets for BB30 are therefor different to the BB86 ones. But you do get adapters to make BB30 cranks fit BB86 BBs and vice versa. Hope it helps.

EDIT:

Had a look on Campy's site. I THINK this is the BB you need:

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/groupsetdetail/item_calotteintUT_catid_12.jsp

But just go to your LBS and make sure. Or hopefully someone with more knowledge about this will be able to help more.

Edited by Hayseed

To use an Ultra-Torque crank in a BB86 frame, you need an adapter. That being said, this article (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/campagnolo-ultra-torque-bb86-adapter) makes it sound like the cups are pressed into the frame anyway. Considering that both Shimano and Campagnolo use 24mm spindles, I would tentatively guess that your crank will fit straight into that BB.

The article referenced above would indicate that you would have to remove the current BB from your bike and press-fit the BB86 Ultra-Torque adapter. That being said, I think that because of the same spindle size, you can simply remove the crank and fit you (simply stunning) Record crank.

Try it yourself, it is easy as pie to remove the Hollowtech crank, if you have the right tools.

As far as I know, BB86 and BB30 is not the same thing. The pressfit BB Giant uses is made to fit cranksets that use extarnal/ screw in BBs. BB30 is also a pressfit BB, but either larger or smaller in diameter (not sure which) and the cranksets for BB30 are therefor different to the BB86 ones. But you do get adapters to make BB30 cranks fit BB86 BBs and vice versa. Hope it helps.

BB86 and BB30 are not the same thing, you are correct. BB30 is a 30mm spindle and 68mm shell. BB86 is a 24mm spindle and an 86.5mm shell.

With a bit more research, I think you may need to get that adapter mentioned in my above post (to reduce the inside diameter to fit the 24mm spindle on the Ultra-Torque crank).

BB86 and BB30 are not the same thing, you are correct. BB30 is a 30mm spindle and 68mm shell. BB86 is a 24mm spindle and an 86.5mm shell.

With a bit more research, I think you may need to get that adapter mentioned in my above post (to reduce the inside diameter to fit the 24mm spindle on the Ultra-Torque crank).

I totally knew that. Was just testing you.

But seriously, thanks for the info :) I never really bothered to find out what the difference was :P

Edited by Hayseed

I totally knew that. Was just testing you.

But seriously, thanks for the info :) I never really bothered to find out what the difference was :P

No problem. BB's are a dark art. There are so many options and so many different types, I find it hard to make sense of it all. What I know is based on a bit of Googling, so maybe just double check before buying things on the basis of my research.

No problem. BB's are a dark art. There are so many options and so many different types, I find it hard to make sense of it all. What I know is based on a bit of Googling, so maybe just double check before buying things on the basis of my research.

Yes they are indeed very confusing.. I fortunately already know what my frame takes though. Good ol' fashioned external threaded BB

Yes they are indeed very confusing.. I fortunately already know what my frame takes though. Good ol' fashioned external threaded BB

The best kind of BB. Easy to service, easy to source!

EDIT:

Had a look on Campy's site. I THINK this is the BB you need:

http://www.campagnol...UT_catid_12.jsp

But just go to your LBS and make sure. Or hopefully someone with more knowledge about this will be able to help more.

Thanks for the replies guys! Appreciated.

LBS is useless. Won't mention names, but I knew that if I did not get the right person to talk to there, then I'll waste my time, which was exactly what happened.

Checked out the link you sent and it has exactly the same BB I was referring to. Thanks. However, there are numerous options and I think the correct one is 86.5x41. Still don't know what the 41 is (yet).

The 41 refers to the outside diam. of the presfit cups. Specialized and now some other frames are 42. In my opinion there is no advantage to having presfit BB's over the previous outboard versions. Seroius disadvantage in that if you sieze a bearing you can end up damaging your frame.

To use an Ultra-Torque crank in a BB86 frame, you need an adapter. That being said, this article (http://www.competiti...ue-bb86-adapter) makes it sound like the cups are pressed into the frame anyway. Considering that both Shimano and Campagnolo use 24mm spindles, I would tentatively guess that your crank will fit straight into that BB.

The article referenced above would indicate that you would have to remove the current BB from your bike and press-fit the BB86 Ultra-Torque adapter. That being said, I think that because of the same spindle size, you can simply remove the crank and fit you (simply stunning) Record crank.

Try it yourself, it is easy as pie to remove the Hollowtech crank, if you have the right tools.

Hi,

This is different from what Hayseed has in the link. So I'm still confused.

My current BB used with the Shimano crankset, does not work with the Campagnolo crankset. I can get whats in Hayseeds link for about R200 less.

Here is the chart.

Chart is very small, but I always end up with the 4th one from top, 4th from left. Correct?

Chart is very small, but I always end up with the 4th one from top, 4th from left. Correct?

Oh and it looks like the adaptor TopFuel was indicating.