New road bike

jamiecanter

Hi guys, I'm coming back to Cape Town from work abroad and I'm looking at spending R25k on a new road bike. Looking for something with at least 105 or ultegra and a very good frame to build upon for racing. Any suggestions or any specials going on would be appreciated. Thanks

I got a Tweet from Bonitas a few days back saying they were selling some of the 2013 Team bikes - with Shimano DI2. Might be worth getting hold of them - @BonitasCycling

Welcome back. Book yourself an Ergofit (www.sciencetosport.com) and get yourself assessed to determine which frame geometry best suits you. Not everyone is accustomed to riding a bike with race geometry. 25K is a fair amount of money to spend on the wrong bike. Get a bike with a good carbon frame, components can always be upgraded as time goes on. 105 should be ample to start out with. Get the bike set up properly, discuss this with your Ergofit technician so you can bring bike with you to get settings dialled in and checked with you on bike. Good luck.

Where you based? I've seen some insane end of year clear outs in the UK / Australia recently.

Thanks for the replies guys. Im currently in the UK andhave access to a bike bag but I dont trust SARS at the airport and potential warranty issues. Also its R17 to the £ :)

If you don't want to bring back a UK steed (I've brought a lot of personal kit back and never had an issue), then the £ is going to make your choice sweet over here.

I'd deffo look for a second hand bike, you can get a lot of bike that will often be ridden once or twice before being offered up. Post Argus is a great time to pick up a heap of well spec'd bikes from guys who put in virtually no miles on them.

I'm a firm Giant TCR Advanced fan but there are so many good bikes out there at the moment. For R25K? Have fun looking, making offers and taking your pick. ;)

Ive seen the focus in the classifieds. Im 174cm and usually ride a 54/55 cm so a 56 may be too big. I dont think items based in Joberg are a viable option for someone living in Cape Town but thanks for the suggestions. Do focus dealers in cape town have any izalco 2013 models with dura ace because I really love that frame and colour scheme.

• 2 weeks later...

Any more ideas on bikes within this price range?

Also looking for a new bike and 25k is my budget.

I'm 1.96m and weigh around 93kgs, so is there much of a difference between going carbon and going for a Cannondale CAAD 8/10?