Best buy under R15 000?

Stark

Hi Hubbers

Newbie here, looking for advice on a MTB under 15K.

I've been wanting to get started for quite some time but for whatever reason haven't gotten my now plump arse of the couch. The stars are however now aligning so with that and just a little luck, I should be in position to get a decent starter bike in the next month or so.

I've done a bit of reading on this site and it and it seems there are still many diverse opinions regarding which size wheel to get, suffice to say I think the best bike for me is going to be a 27.5" or 650b.... still don't know where that name comes from ;-)

A couple of things about myself: I'm ~176cm short, turned 40 last year and mainly want to get into this for a change of lifestyle and to get fit. I stay just south of Johannesburg, there seems to be lots of decent trails out here close to Eikenhof/Walkerville. In fact I'm seriously contemplating riding the Summer Fast One this weekend. I have a borrowed Scott Aspect 630 26er (Large) I can use which I got last week. Besides a few rides scoping out area the local area I haven't really done any riding since I did the 94.7 in 2001 :-0 . Over the last 10 days however I've done 2 x 10 km, 2 x 15km and 1x 43km ride (done in three stages) :-). I'm fairly confident I'll complete the 12km ride, at the summer fast one, but I'm nervous to do the 35km route, my comfort zone seems to end at around 20odd km's so 35 would be pushing it... How long do they give you on the trail before they load you into the bakkie and take you back to the start :-)?

Anyway back to the question at hand. What bike, 650b hard tail for under 15K?

Overall weight is important, I think, and I've a long way to go before I start doing very technical riding, or long marathons which is why I think the 27.5" hard tail is the best option for me. Color is not terribly important but I'd rather not get a red bike.

I've had a look at several options including the Scott Aspect 720, GT Zaskar (red one), Titan Pro, and various Merida's in the Big 7 range like the TFS 300 and 500.

The bike standing out for me at the moment is the ~11.5kg Merida Big 7 XT Edition

So what do you guys think, anything else I should serious take a look at?

Edited by Stark

That Merida XT was selling for R12950 or thereabouts at Cycle Lab with their so-called festive sale which ended on the 24th December - really nice bike and given the discount they were offering try and bargain a bit

I like Silverback, looking at getting a Sola 1 in the next couple of months (its a 29er). I also like the Merida 1000/1500, but they tend to be a tad expensive. Also maybe check out the Giant XTC 27.5 2 (it comes in Red) and I think the price will be good.

Enjoy the shopping!

That Merida XT was selling for R12950 or thereabouts at Cycle Lab with their so-called festive sale which ended on the 24th December - really nice bike and given the discount they were offering try and bargain a bit

pity, I was in Cycle Lab over the festive season and no-one mentioned these super specials :( , Thanks will try them out, but it may be a month or two before I can actually get the bike, doubt they'll be so kind then.

Check Giant... Why not 29er?

I assume you're referring to the Giant Talon 1 27.5?

for a only little money I'd think the better spec'd Merida is better? ...also can't find the weight of the Giant but I assume it's heavier? ...oh and it's red :unsure:

Regarding the 29er:

From the reading I've done it seems the 27,5 format gives you the best of both worlds, it's better than the 26er for the longer open roads and better than 29er at the technical stuff, which is what I'd like to work up to.

Edited by Stark

Shop around, ride as many different bikes (and sizes, I am your height and ride a medium) as you can and do some new year haggling! There must be some specials out there for you.

Hi Hubbers

Newbie here, looking for advice on a MTB under 15K.

I've been wanting to get started for quite some time but for whatever reason haven't gotten my now plump arse of the couch. The stars are however now aligning so with that and just a little luck, I should be in position to get a decent starter bike in the next month or so.

I've done a bit of reading on this site and it and it seems there are still many diverse opinions regarding which size wheel to get, suffice to say I think the best bike for me is going to be a 27.5" or 650b.... still don't know where that name comes from ;-)

A couple of things about myself: I'm ~176cm short, turned 40 last year and mainly want to get into this for a change of lifestyle and to get fit. I stay just south of Johannesburg, there seems to be lots of decent trails out here close to Eikenhof/Walkerville. In fact I'm seriously contemplating riding the Summer Fast One this weekend. I have a borrowed Scott Aspect 630 26er (Large) I can use which I got last week. Besides a few rides scoping out area the local area I haven't really done any riding since I did the 94.7 in 2001 :-0 . Over the last 10 days however I've done 2 x 10 km, 2 x 15km and 1x 43km ride (done in three stages) :-). I'm fairly confident I'll complete the 12km ride, at the summer fast one, but I'm nervous to do the 35km route, my comfort zone seems to end at around 20odd km's so 35 would be pushing it... How long do they give you on the trail before they load you into the bakkie and take you back to the start :-)?

Anyway back to the question at hand. What bike, 650b hard tail for under 15K?

Overall weight is important, I think, and I've a long way to go before I start doing very technical riding, or long marathons which is why I think the 27.5" hard tail is the best option for me. Color is not terribly important but I'd rather not get a red bike.

I've had a look at several options including the Scott Aspect 720, GT Zaskar (red one), Titan Pro, and various Merida's in the Big 7 range like the TFS 300 and 500.

The bike standing out for me at the moment is the ~11.5kg Merida Big 7 XT Edition

So what do you guys think, anything else I should serious take a look at?

What about a south african bike? check out Momsen Bikes: www.momsenbikes.com. i have a hardtail from them and I LOVE it!

What about a south african bike? check out Momsen Bikes: www.momsenbikes.com. i have a hardtail from them and I LOVE it!

Second that. Some great value bikes there, although not much in the 650b size...

Thanks, wouldn't mind getting something proudly South African however, I had a look at the AL655, it's heavier and lower spec'd than the Merida XT which is only a little (~R800) more expensive. The next momsen up from that is the dual sus Vipa which is quite a bit more expensive.

PS - thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming.

Why don't you consider a full suspension bike?

A decent starter full suspension bike seems considerably more expensive than a decent starter starter hard tail... My max limit is R15k