Chinese TT bike import

AndrewF

* Have only met one person that needed a warrantee from hongfu...and he didn't have any issues. There is however no warrantee on what you are suggesting....just pointing out the facts.

New branded bikes have their place....so does the fongkong's

All brands/non brands have there place .....

I have given my advice as an importer as this is surely why Scrumpy posted this. You give him yours, I give him mine and he makes a more calculated call. * You need to get out more :rolleyes:

As an importer can you make any offers at around R25k? :clap:

Hahaha Scrumpy nice try :clap: . Your R50 - R60k price assertion (presuming you need Ultegra from your post) for a new TT bike is a little exaggerated. I am not here to punt our brands but we have two brands with Ultegra 11 speed selling from around R35k. I am sure our competition is there or thereabouts. Do your homework with duty and vat and I dont believe that there will be that much difference.

Hahaha Scrumpy nice try :clap: . Your R50 - R60k price assertion (presuming you need Ultegra from your post) for a new TT bike is a little exaggerated. I am not here to punt our brands but we have two brands with Ultegra 11 speed selling from around R35k. I am sure our competition is there or thereabouts. Do your homework with duty and vat and I dont believe that there will be that much difference.

I actually prefer SRAM. Ride Rival on my road bike currently and love it. Please have a look at the OP... Even with duty and vat that build will be around R23k...

All brands/non brands have there place .....

I have given my advice as an importer as this is surely why Scrumpy posted this. You give him yours, I give him mine and he makes a more calculated call. * You need to get out more :rolleyes:

Yip....however your advice contradicts itself a bit....caution about warrantee on fongkong(which I will admit could quite a bit of admin being halfway across the world) but then suggesting a secondhand bike which doesnt have one at all :huh:

I am all for buying new..or fongkong....there is place for all....heck I own

Bought new

Bought secondhand

Bought fongkong.

All three have been good experiences and depending on my needs was the right choice. The one thing leaving a bit of a kuk taste in my mouth are some guys importing these fongkongs and putting a 100 rand sticker kit and then wanting 95% of the name brands price....or guys branding a fongkong as a name brand with paintjob....wtf

About getting out more....if you play your cards right, I might offer you a steak dinner date this friday. :whistling:

:D

Yip....however your advice contradicts itself a bit....caution about warrantee on fongkong(which I will admit could quite a bit of admin being halfway across the world) but then suggesting a secondhand bike which doesnt have one at all :huh:

I am all for buying new..or fongkong....there is place for all....heck I own

Bought new

Bought secondhand

Bought fongkong.

All three have been good experiences and depending on my needs was the right choice. The one thing leaving a bit of a kuk taste in my mouth are some guys importing these fongkongs and putting a 100 rand sticker kit and then wanting 95% of the name brands price....or guys branding a fongkong as a name brand with paintjob....wtf

About getting out more....if you play your cards right, I might offer you a steak dinner date this friday. :whistling:

Thanks Rouxtjie but I am otherwise occupied this Friday :) I am testing my new Fujirello TT bike and I have to allow time for mechanicals. :oops: :D

:D

Thanks Rouxtjie but I am otherwise occupied this Friday :) I am testing my new Fujirello TT bike and I have to allow time for mechanicals. :oops: :D

Pics or it doesn't exist...

PS I am used to batted...but I work on odds, somewhere, sometime, someone will say yes to my steak dinner date.

I actually prefer SRAM. Ride Rival on my road bike currently and love it. Please have a look at the OP... Even with duty and vat that build will be around R23k...

Lets do the math then:

$1981 for the package x 15% Duty = $2279 x 14% vat = $2598 + Delivery $300 = $2898 converted @ ZAR 11.20 = R32458.00.

Estimated resale value after a year R12k (if you are lucky to find a triathlete (very picky breed) who will buy a second hand no-name bike).

A new Sram Rival branded bike in SA sells for R34k. With an estimated resale value after one year around R25k.

Just a point on "probably the same factories". As a brand importer there a four factories used by the top brand manufacturers for their carbon models, all of which are located in Taiwan. There are various grades of carbon and your top brands will use high/ultra high modulas carbon. It is stronger and stiffer. The frame looks realy good, but I would investigate the warrantee. All these "agents" are good at delivery times but are they as good with warrantee claims? If you have budget constraints, I would lean towards finding a hardly used branded TT bike. They have done their engineering homework.

Just an observation, if you buy 2nd hand on the Hub, you lose any warranty in anycase.

But at least you are getting a product where you know the quality will be good.

I assembled one once - it was horrible. The headset bearings had been inserted before the spray job and had to be prised out. The plastic bag remnants had to be "extracted" out of a tiny aperture in the frame before the internal cabling could be fitted and the mount for the rear brake (below the BB) was so shoddy it took forever to set up. The bars also had to be machined to get the shifters to fit. The owner seems happy enough though. I suppose if you stick to tried and tested suppliers you should be ok. I have built some Chinese deep sections which built very well and they haven't come back ....yet!

Pics or it doesn't exist...

PS I am used to batted...but I work on odds, somewhere, sometime, someone will say yes to my steak dinner date.

Pick me, pick me ;)

I was also looking at a TT frame when the lil madam wanted to do IM, thank goodness she keeps telling me she doesn't enjoy riding road. $/R is killer at the moment, no bike purchases allowed for me :(

If you surf theHub, you'll find lots of guys that have brought in, are bringing in, for business & personal Chinese frames.

Matter or choice, if you willing to pay the bit extra (~20%), you can have you the warranty & still be cheaper than the big brand boys?