Giant STP

Jonathan Edwards

Hey guys,

Been looking at quite a few forum posts and looks like the Giant STP is quite a highly rated bike. I've got the GT Chucker at the moment and am looking to get some thing new, the Chucker has lasted me 4 years and I am happy I got it. I am looking for some thing a little more. Had a look at the Fireball 26" and saw quite a few people say that its an entry level bike and that its on the same level as the chucker. So I am instead looking for a Giant STP (New).

I have been looking for the past 30 minutes and cannot find one place in SA that sells them new, and that I can purchase them online (or even mention that they sell them at their shop).

Could some one please link me, or show me a shop that would be able to get me a new one. I live in the Western Cape so anything near here would be great!

Or if some one could recommend me a similar bicycle that would be cool!

Cheers

Jon

Edited by Jonathan Edwards

Hey man.

Thanks for linking me!

I only really see the DMR bikes there, they are quite pricey though. Could you recommend a specific bike? On their site or even another site that I can order from.

Hey Jon, out of interest, why are you looking for a new bike? If your Chucker frame is still intact then an STP isn't going to offer you a hell of a lot more for dirt jumping. Maybe some better components that come standard with the bike but you'd be better off just upgrading the specs on your current bike.

If you do want a new frame then I'd recommend the ones on Dial'd. At least you're paying for a significant upgrade rather than an incremental one. Just remember you'll probably need to upgrade or change some components for the new frame too.

Edited by Rata Del Spruit

Hey!

TBH, I don't really "dirt jump" per say. Although I wouldn't mind getting into it. I do a lot of urban riding and messing around town.

My Chucker is about 4 years old its still rock solid, I just thought that newer bikes offer more than what my bike offers at the moment.

I would consider adding parts to my Chucker but at the moment I would rather just spend a bit extra for a bike which comes stock with good components, although the catch 22 is that I don't want to spend a lot of cash.

I looked on Dial'd, they have really nice bikes there but they are just so expensive, maybe its just me but wow. Just to have some fun around town with my mates I have to spend 8k+ to get a decent bike.

Thats the jump your looking at, either cheap chuckers/firballs and STP's for R3k-R4k, or the sweet chromoly frames at R7k+

Atleast on a DJ bike you dont need a geared drive train, try and upgrade to a SS frame from Diald, then you only have wheels and shock to worry about.

No easy way around it, anything better than chuckers/firballs and STP's is going to cost you.

Edited by braailegend

Hey!

TBH, I don't really "dirt jump" per say. Although I wouldn't mind getting into it. I do a lot of urban riding and messing around town.

My Chucker is about 4 years old its still rock solid, I just thought that newer bikes offer more than what my bike offers at the moment.

I would consider adding parts to my Chucker but at the moment I would rather just spend a bit extra for a bike which comes stock with good components, although the catch 22 is that I don't want to spend a lot of cash.

I looked on Dial'd, they have really nice bikes there but they are just so expensive, maybe its just me but wow. Just to have some fun around town with my mates I have to spend 8k+ to get a decent bike.

Yeah, unfortunately you're going to have to spend a LOT extra on a bike with good new components. The only way you'll get good components without spending a lot is buying a second hand bike.

You're not going to get any massive improvement by upgrading the frame and it's pretty expensive.

If I were you, I'd upgrade the wheelset first. You'll feel the difference immediately with great wheels and hubs. Try and find a set that can be converted from QR to through axle at a later stage for when you do decide to upgrade your frame or fork.

Good cranks, BB and pedals should be your next purchase. The Chucker is probably running Shimano octalink or an ISIS BB. If it's an ISIS I can sell you a good set of FSA cranks that I've never used.

I'd then consider switching to single speed if you haven't already. You'll need a chain tensioner since you have vertical dropouts but it will make your ride far more fun.

Lastly, change out the brakes. A solid set of brakes like Shimano SLX will make the world of difference. You can even run just a single brake for that uncluttered feel on the bars.

Grips, bars and stems are all nice bling areas. If you're commuting, try pick up a 400mm to 450mm seat post. You can drop it when you're messing about but it makes riding so much more pleasant when you're just trying to get somewhere.

Dial'd will have 90% of the stuff you need and you can pick up the rest at your LBS.

• 2 months later...

My cousin has got a fireball dirt and my 2008 chucker 2.0 came with alot better componenets than his. The new generation fireballs is not as good as the older fireballs with regards to standard good qaulity parts.