Buying My first MTB

You can get a decent 26er 2013 model new for about R4500 - R5000. I now its more than you got but you wl get much more than you pay for if you only go R3000.

But if he doesn't have 6 to 7 k he has to work with the budget he has.

If he starts with the R 3,000 bike and enjoys it at least he has something to ride while he starts saving for the upgrade and in the meantime he will gather some experience towards knowing what to look for when the upgrade happens.

There are plenty of okay bikes out there that don't cost an arm or a leg.

This one is fine to start -

http://www.thehubsa....-giant-revel-4/

Very decent and capable bike that :thumbup: :thumbup:

I got into mountain biking about 10 months ago when a friend decided to upgrade to a 29er. He gave me his old 2005 GT Avalanche 0.5. So the bike cost me nothing at first but then the maintenance became necessary.

I got new chainrings here on the thehub, had to replace the front derailer about 2 months in. Chain needed replacing the next month so had to replace the cassette aswell. Now the rear wheel hub started making all kinds of noises yesterday. Took it to bike shop today, luckily only needed to be serviced after the bike had a major service about 800km's ago.

Hopefully that is the last time this bike eats into my savings for the new bike.

Agree that the budget is a little tight. The Titans over good value for the money. New 650b will be R8k'ish.

Agree that a second hand at that money will require maintenance soon, so that saving will be quickly eat'n into.

Edited by MaXiMuM

I got into mtbing about 6 yrs ago. so riding used to be on and off. my first bike was a 3K bike which needed a hell of a lot maintenance so riding was a drag. So i stop riding. 2 year later i bought myself a 2009 Merida matts 40. damn was riding good at that time and i only paid 5K brand new. so i recommend adding 2k to your budget coz at that time (and still now) i weight 103kg as im into powerlifing.

after that i sold my bike bought 2010 merida Matts 100. i can promise you everything ive got that a cheap bike will make you give up much quicker. if installments will be possible, rather finance a bike. go to www.bikelife.co.za and get yourself a propper bike, brand new at an affordable price.

If I could give you one tip - Sunscreen would be it..... but I can give you another, so...

Based on my experience of similar situations - My opinion is the same as MH -

Buy second hand and cheap and see how it goes.

This is what happens - every time!

1. You like it you sell the R3000 bike for R2500 and buy something better.

2. You don't like it -

2.1 You sell the R3000 bike for R2500 and go to McDonalds for a happy meal.

2.2 It stands around as a constant reminder of your failed attempt to better yourself.

3. They steal your bike.

Important -

- You can score a great deal for R3000 BUT ask the right friend to help.

The right friend (includes all of the below)-

- Someone thats been riding for at least 5 years.

- Someone that has bought a bike (for himself) 2 or more times.

- Someone that owns a bike worth more than R20 000.

- If you buy mountain bike then the above should all be a friend that mountain bike if road bike then road friend.

Good luck.

ps. If you anyone feel exclude by my advice then please send me hate mail.

Edited by Mellow