Noobie looking to upgrade

wynand.vandalen

So I am looking to upgrade to a 29inch. At the moment I am between the 2014 Scott Scale 940 and the Merida Big.Nine 1500. Any suggestions?

Merida Big Nine. but it comes to preference with this one. My very first bike was merida way back when and i never looked back but you get such cool accessories for the scott. Close your eyes spin around twice and ask yourself "which one is cheaper"

I really like the scott, but the Merida is much cheaper at my lbs. thnx for your responses.

Well, give us some feedback on what you bought. pics will be really nice.

Depending on your skill level, I would go with the one with slacker head angle. Usually the Merida's are really aggressive (had two, so I speak from experience) and a bit twitchy, thus limiting you to XC racing in general. At least with the Scott it has the chip you can swap in the rear suspension to make the head angle slacker and the BB lower. The Scott can also double up as a light duty trail bike.

Another point to remember is that all the Scotts come out with the twinlock system. It locks both the front and the back shock at the same time. The Merida, I am not sure. I have seen two models with one having a Fox "twinlock" and the other a separate Rockshox lockout for both shock. Something to consider as well as confusion and clutter on your handlebar is not always great, especially when starting out.

And last point to consider is the bike that actually makes you want to go out and ride. The one that speaks to you.

I know the Scott comes in more expensive, but you have to compare apples with apples and most bikes these days have pretty comparable price points for the same spec. Your choice in the end and my 2 cents worth. I am not a huge Scott fan anymore, but between the two I would pick the Scott if I was a weekend warrior

Depending on your skill level, I would go with the one with slacker head angle. Usually the Merida's are really aggressive (had two, so I speak from experience) and a bit twitchy, thus limiting you to XC racing in general. At least with the Scott it has the chip you can swap in the rear suspension to make the head angle slacker and the BB lower. The Scott can also double up as a light duty trail bike.

Another point to remember is that all the Scotts come out with the twinlock system. It locks both the front and the back shock at the same time. The Merida, I am not sure. I have seen two models with one having a Fox "twinlock" and the other a separate Rockshox lockout for both shock. Something to consider as well as confusion and clutter on your handlebar is not always great, especially when starting out.

And last point to consider is the bike that actually makes you want to go out and ride. The one that speaks to you.

I know the Scott comes in more expensive, but you have to compare apples with apples and most bikes these days have pretty comparable price points for the same spec. Your choice in the end and my 2 cents worth. I am not a huge Scott fan anymore, but between the two I would pick the Scott if I was a weekend warrior

He is looking at the Scott Scale, this is a hardtail

He is looking at the Scott Scale, this is a hardtail

Jis, sorry. And there I thought I was giving good advice. Thanks for pointing it out

Edited by camelman