Carbon Saddle with alloy post

Scooterza

Hey all, I have a I-Beam SDG saddle on my road bike that is not bad - but like many weekend riders, after 2 hours I have a sore ass. I don't notice much flex etc but it's just not great in my opinion.

In a moment of weakness I bought a carbon panther MOST carbon saddle (rebranded Selle Italia) that was on special a while ago. Got home and that's when I discovered/remembered that my post doesn't take a standard railed saddle! Doh! Having already spent just under a grand on the saddle, I am loath to spend a lot more.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6197/6098940544_54d97e078a_z.jpg

So now I am trying to decide if I will notice a big difference by forking out the R1500 odd to get a carbon seatpost or if I can get something like this:

http://bicicletta.myshopify.com/collections/seat-posts/products/ritchey-wcs-offset-wet-white-seat-post-1-bolt

If it's gonna make a world of difference, would rather fork over the extra R1K for a carbon post but if it's gonna make a 2% difference, I won't notice.

What do you guys think?

Weight would be the major difference IMO.

Maybe someone more knowledgable can shed light on whether the one will absorb more road/trail vibration than the other, etc....

They say the carbon posts absorb more road vibration and are slightly less harsh, but having ridden both kinds, I find weight isn't very different if they're good quality, and the ride isn't the most noticeable difference either.

If you can afford it, go for carbon, but only so that it satiates the desire.

Otherwise, I think it's more like the 2% difference in my opinion...

Most importantly, make sure the clamp is the right type... It needs to fit carbon rails, which are normally not round, but squarish... So the ideal clamps are from top to bottom, but side pressure clamps like the ritcheys have additional clamps that need to be purchased for carbon rails.

And don't forget to use carbon paste and a torque wrench!