Rear Derailers, Short Medium Long

Sidmouth

So looking for a new derailer, rear to replace my Sram XO, I see there are Short Medium and long Cages, what is the difference and when would you use one over the other?

Depends on your cassette and how many rocks you want to hit with your derailer...

Bigger ratio requires longer cage.... experts will be able to help with what length for what ratios, so what casette do you have?

Have a similar problem, rear derailleur clipped a rock and broke the jockey. Any recommendations for a stronger and more reliable jockey than the one that comes stock with the X9 10 speed?

Guest Smimby

Short => is for DH

Medium=> for 2 x 10 in general Unless you are running a 28x42 upfront and 11-36 at the back then you maybe want to use the long cage

Long => 3 x 10

This is generally for Sram and it is what I read on their site not just a thumbsuck.

so is the long cage compatible with everything, or do you have to stick to a specific size, IE if I run a 36-11 with a double ring can I get away with a long cage, and will a triple ring work with a medium cage

Short => is for DH

Medium=> for 2 x 10 in general Unless you are running a 28x42 upfront and 11-36 at the back then you maybe want to use the long cage

Long => 3 x 10

This is generally for Sram and it is what I read on their site not just a thumbsuck.

Largely correct, but short can also be used on a 1x10 setup. I run it this way with a 11x36t cassette and have almost zero chain slap (bearing in mind it's a clutch derailleur).

Sidmouth, you can run a long-cage with any setup, but medium or even short is better if your specific setup can accommodate it.

The purpose of the cage is to take up the slack in your chain, I.e. the more slack you can generate (e.g. 3x10) the longer the cage you require. Basically, Shimano suggest a long cage for a triple, a medium cage for a double and a short cage for a single as in downhill. XX1 obviously has it's own design which works differently.

Depends on your cassette and how many rocks you want to hit with your derailer...

Bigger ratio requires longer cage.... experts will be able to help with what length for what ratios, so what casette do you have?

Nope, not that accurate.

Short cages are usually used for dowh hill / gravity riding.

Med cages for 2x10

long cages 3x9

each rear deraileur has a rating or capacity. (research this on the net)

for your cassette / chainrings you can work out yours as follows:

rear deraileur capacity = (largest sprocket - smallest rear sprocket) + (largest front chainring - smallest rear chainring)

eg a 2x10 system with 40/28 front and 11/42 rear: (42-11) + (40-28) = 43t capacity

med cage deraileurs usually handle (37t shimano, and 39t sram, long cage usally 43t shimano, 45t sram.

Nope, not that accurate.

Short cages are usually used for dowh hill / gravity riding.

Med cages for 2x10

long cages 3x9

each rear deraileur has a rating or capacity. (research this on the net)

for your cassette / chainrings you can work out yours as follows:

rear deraileur capacity = (largest sprocket - smallest rear sprocket) + (largest front chainring - smallest rear chainring)

eg a 2x10 system with 40/28 front and 11/42 rear: (42-11) + (40-28) = 43t capacity

med cage deraileurs usually handle (37t shimano, and 39t sram, long cage usally 43t shimano, 45t sram.

I think this needs to be also posted into the 9 speed conversion thread

I think this needs to be also posted into the 9 speed conversion thread

well for a 1x10 conversion the following example works:

32t front chainring, and an 11/42 rear cassette

(42-11) + (32-32) = 31t capacity.

med cages usually work fine for 1x10 conversions