AS4

Hi,

Looking to buy a gift for someone who does mountain biking.

I am confused if I should go Rudy Project, Adidas or Oakley???

I am swaying towards Rudy Project but now Rydon or Agon? I cant find the difference online?

Are Photo-chromatic lenses a good idea?

Would really appreciate any help :)

howzit,

probably personal preference. I love my Rudy's. have the magster with tested lenses.

photochromic is a good idea.

good luck.

photochromic is a good option, considering changing light conditions when riding in wooded areas, alo nice if the individual does night riding.

...and to show you just how personal it is, I disliked my Rudy's, simply could not get them to sit properly, eyes kept on getting wind on them, plus they seemed to attract moisture - and did not shed any! Riding even in light mist was... interesting!

Also did not like photochromatic lenses. Nifty idea, but messed around with my eyes and never adjusts quickly enough.

I went with Oakley - for MTB'ing, just make sure it's a lighish lens, not too light, but never too dark. Something like a G30 (which I use) or VR28 works for me. I only use darker lenses if I KNOW I'm not going anywhere near trees and it's a very bright day.

So - buying for somebody else without that person's input, might end up an exercise in futility. Rather leave the surprise factor out of it - but that's just me being my boring over-common-sensical self. :whistling:

Been riding with Rudy's for a while, they mist up badly when its rainy and overcast. Oakleys look really good but never tried them. Honestly I am using a pair of photochromatic safety glasses which cost a fraction of the price but are actually much better than the big brand products. Nice thing is you can buy a few pairs. Brand is called MSA

Ridden with both Oakley and Rudy's.

Found the Oakley's were good, but I couldn't get them to fit properly. Whereas the Rudy's are a lot more flexible in getting the arms and nose piece perfectly lined up. I think I have a funny shaped head, cos I struggle to get specs to fit comfortably. The Rudy's are by far the most comfy fitting specs or sunglasses which I've had. (I've worn specs for the best part of 20 years, so I've been through a few pairs of specs). I've got the Rydon's btw.

One problem I have with the Rudy's is that they fog up if you're going slowly uphill. As soon as you get some airflow thro them they clear.

Photochromatic is recommended for MTB. Mine just changes slightly, but it just takes the edge off harsh light. I had G30 lenses with Oakley, and found that for heavily shaded areas I had to take them off.

I have photochromatic Oakley Flakjacket's and love them. Use them for all sport and just general outdoor use.