Giro d' Italia 2014

'Dale

At the finish we have blue skies but a few clouds scattered around. The break has covered roughly 80km of racing and are around 20km from the feedzone. Omega have everything under control

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

118km to go and the gap to the field is at an even 7 minutes as the break head towards Monza.

The twelve leaders have really had to work for those seven minutes because even if they started the climb with a lead of that margin it might not be enough.

100km remain in the stage, the leaders at 7'15, as Omega continue to set the pace. A few riders have dropped back to teams cars to talk with their respective directors but it's calm in the peloton at the moment.

!!!

This time last week Orica were on top of the world but they're now down to three riders in the race, with a week remaining. Mitchell Docker is out with a virus.

Into the final 85km of racing, Omega currently holding the break at 7'30.

The peloton ease up though and the gap is starting to go out. Cunego is almost, almost the leader on the road.

78km to go and the gap is at 10 full minutes so Cunego isn't quite in the maglia rosa on the road.

73km remaining from 225km

A smart, prompt reaction from the field and the gap is closed down to under eight minutes. The twelve leaders are still working well together but they really need around 6-7 minutes by the foot of the climb to stand a decent chance of winning today.

The bunch have increased the pace and they've reduced the gap to just over seven minutes.

Astana, Cannondale, and BMC are also near the front at th moment and keeping their respective leaders out of trouble. Paolini, a stage winner and leader of the race last year, currently leads the break and takes a turn before Hansen comes through.

Neri Sottoli - Yellow Fluo, who dont have a rider in the break are setting the pace at the front of the peloton. Scinto making his team work after their mistake this morning.

There's no let up with the break punching on and the peloton strung out. The gap is holding at around the 6'30 mark but it was around 10 minutes 20km ago.

At this rate the break could be down to less than four minutes by the time they reach the foot of the final climb. The gap is at 6'36 with 58km to go.

Trek have now put a man on the front to help with the chase. They had a poor day yesterday with Robert Kiserlovski losing time and Arredondo cracking after setting the pace. Arredondo still leads the KOM competition.

Geniez is right at the back of the peloton at the moment. He's a climber who could try something on the lower slopes of the climb today.