New Road Bike

Richard F

Hi, looking at a Silverback Space 1 carbon, spec & weight look very good, price ok, also looked at Merida, Giant and Trek, the Silverback seems to nail them all. I am missing anything?

Whats your budget like? Have a look at scott CR1 or Cannondale Caad 10. Minimum spec should be Shimano 105.

Budget around R25k, Silverback has all Ultegra bits & bobs and weighs about 7.5 kg`s (according to what I have read) the Scott seems to weigh about a kg more, don`t know about the Cannondale.

Am I right in thinking that Silverback is regarded as being a slightly inferior brand? had a couple of cycling types turn their noses up at the mention of Silverback.

Budget around R25k, Silverback has all Ultegra bits & bobs and weighs about 7.5 kg`s (according to what I have read) the Scott seems to weigh about a kg more, don`t know about the Cannondale.

Am I right in thinking that Silverback is regarded as being a slightly inferior brand? had a couple of cycling types turn their noses up at the mention of Silverback.

That does seem to be a good value for money bike. As mentioned by Cippo, the Cannondale CAAD10 with Ultegra is also in that price range. Although its an alloy frame (with carbon fork) its probably as light and a superb bike with the same geometry as the Cannondale range topping EVO. Worth considering in my opinion.

That does seem to be a good value for money bike. As mentioned by Cippo, the Cannondale CAAD10 with Ultegra is also in that price range. Although its an alloy frame (with carbon fork) its probably as light and a superb bike with the same geometry as the Cannondale range topping EVO. Worth considering in my opinion.

I`m looking at carbon because I`m hoping it will be easier on the body, also it has an 11 speed cassette which, with any luck, will make it a bit easier on the hills. I`m not as young as I used to be, or, for that matter, as good looking so I`m after all the help I can get.

for that price tag I would consider the Specialized Venge/Tarmac.

I think the Tarmac Elite comes with 105 and goes for about R25k. I know shimano has or is about to release 105 in 11 speed so maybe holding on a bit will be worth it.

the same bike with ultegra 11 speed and a slightly better wheelset and carbon frame goes for R33 000.

If I had to buy a bike right now, this would be it

Edited by RastaMan

I`m looking at carbon because I`m hoping it will be easier on the body, also it has an 11 speed cassette which, with any luck, will make it a bit easier on the hills. I`m not as young as I used to be, or, for that matter, as good looking so I`m after all the help I can get.

Cannondale Supersix evo 5 105. R24k. 7.9kgs

Edited by Winstonian1984

Quality wise, Silverback is right up there with the best. The new Scalera is the sexiest thing out there.

The silverback doesn't weigh anywhere near 7.5kg… I've been to 3 bike shops (depending on size) they all weigh around 8.05 to 8.25 etc… I also saw the website said something like 7.6 kg but thats not the case indeed. Go to the shop and weigh it..youll see.

Some people might regard silverback as inferior but that because south africa is "brand focussed"..nothing wrong with the silverback and best value for money if you ask me. I never had one but the okes that does says its perfect! Scott has some good deals also and with lower prices than the bigger brands.