Night riding light

Muggins

Just out of interest sake.

When charging these battery packs for these lights. Is it advisable to run the batteries completely flat and then charge.

Edited by Muggins

I'm doing my first night ride tomorrow evening.

I have one of these lights for my bike. I think the specs say 80 lumens.

I bought it for riding to gym in winter when it was dark. It works fine for that but I'm thinking I need a brighter unit for MTB night trail rides.

Any suggestions.

Is it advisable to also have a head lamp unit in addition to the bike one. I think it could be disorientating to only have one on the bike.

Thanks.

\Which event are you riding, the Heia Safari event? If so it will also be my first night race.

\Which event are you riding, the Heia Safari event? If so it will also be my first night race.

Mine too. Doing the 20km. Edited by Pusher

Are you riding the 10Km or @0 Km event??

I'll do the 20 km route. 10 km's is over to quickly.

I'll do the 20 km route. 10 km's is over to quickly.

I think that will depend on how techical the route is on how long it will take to finish.

There are apparrently sections through trees with switch backs. I rode Thaba last weekend in the day , did not consentrate for a split second and a hit a tree. Don't worry the tree is fine.

. I spoke to Darren ,who said the 20km route is not too techical and that the trails have been made wider for this event.

Just out of interest sake.

When charging these battery packs for these lights. Is it advisable to run the batteries completely flat and then charge.

No. The chemistry is the same as your cellphone and laptop - it's quite safe to top it up, as often as you like. But it's a good idea to disconnect the charger as soon as it shows that it's fully charged - lithium ion batteries don't like being "trickle charged" - shortens their lives.

Also, FWIW, you can't "run them flat" - they turn themselves off when they get down to a certain voltage. If you somehow allowed the voltage to drop much below that level, the cell would be irreparably damaged.

The light worked brilliantly.

There is no hiding away with this light.

Found myself doing most of the ride with the light set at 10% as in the lowest setting.

On bright it is seriously bright.