New Commuter

SpiralS

Hi all. Finally got my bike and set to do the Table View to Paarden Eiland commute. Would there be any special recomendations be for someone who is new to commuting? What will be the best remedy in the first couple of weeks be to recover properly.

Do it every other day at the start will probably be a good place to start I guess? What will the timeline be for an unfit individual to get up to a fitness level to do it every day?

All advice will be appreciated.

PS have read all the commute advice thread. Most valuable thread on the net.

Hello to you,

I started commuting in March, everyday cycle helped me, but wake try leave earlier than you think you should, cycle at an easy 16-20km/h... Its darn cold in the mornings so dress comfortably, not too hot though and lights, as many as you can fit. Red flashes in the rear and nice white or yellows up front.

There's an awesome thread somewhere dedicated to commuting.

Lots of lessons shared too.

In terms of timing - I leave TV at about 7:10 and get into town at roughly 7:50 on a good day with no wind on my road bike, if there is a bit of a breeze in the morning you will have to leave earlier or push harder, up to you...

I generally check windguru the night before, best days are when there is no wind in the morning and its a pomping SE in the evening, then you can get home in 25 mins! haha!

Other than that, bring some mace - you never know!

Hi all. Finally got my bike and set to do the Table View to Paarden Eiland commute. Would there be any special recomendations be for someone who is new to commuting? What will be the best remedy in the first couple of weeks be to recover properly.

Do it every other day at the start will probably be a good place to start I guess? What will the timeline be for an unfit individual to get up to a fitness level to do it every day?

All advice will be appreciated.

PS have read all the commute advice thread. Most valuable thread on the net.

The best is to just accept that there will be days you don't want to cycle, and then just cycle anyway. Those often turn into the best rides.

Ride everyday, recovery ... what is that ... ;)

You will start off well and then hit a wall with respect to motivation and how your body is responding to the daily commuting .... just push through.

We leave from Bayside around the 6:30 or 6:45am mark pending the group or what we want to do on the day (straight to work, coffee or a Table Mountain ride)

In terms of timing - I leave TV at about 7:10 and get into town at roughly 7:50 on a good day with no wind on my road bike, if there is a bit of a breeze in the morning you will have to leave earlier or push harder, up to you...

I generally check windguru the night before, best days are when there is no wind in the morning and its a pomping SE in the evening, then you can get home in 25 mins! haha!

Other than that, bring some mace - you never know!

Hey you ... what bike do you ride as we would most certainly have met or seen eachother on the cycle paths.

Look out for a Dark On One with Green rims and running SS or a Black on Black on Black Cannondale MOTTO.

Couple of weeks in now and feeling a bit tired. Taking a rest day today as work is also a bit hectic at the moment. Also a bit low on power yesterday on the ride back but I am loving it I tell you. Damn its much better than sitting on the stuffy bus.

Got some old epic hand me downs that helping with the cold and the arse pains :) Will be going over to clipless tomorrow and see how that goes.

Couple of weeks in now and feeling a bit tired. Taking a rest day today as work is also a bit hectic at the moment. Also a bit low on power yesterday on the ride back but I am loving it I tell you. Damn its much better than sitting on the stuffy bus.

Got some old epic hand me downs that helping with the cold and the arse pains :) Will be going over to clipless tomorrow and see how that goes.

Hang in there >> you will get to a stage when if you miss a ride in, you will feel grumpy and guilty about not riding. I try ride every day - sometimes life gets in the way though ! My comute is from TV to Pinelands and back - both with a little added on especially on Fridays as we finish early. Enjoy life, feel pity for those less fortunate than you and that have to use a car or a bus >>> and be safe out there.

Hey you ... what bike do you ride as we would most certainly have met or seen eachother on the cycle paths.

Look out for a Dark On One with Green rims and running SS or a Black on Black on Black Cannondale MOTTO.

Generally on my old school yellow alpina with black fork, but i am commuting in now on my MTB with rear rack and panniers sometimes - training for my trip! Leave at about 7am / 5:30pm

Generally on my old school yellow alpina with black fork, but i am commuting in now on my MTB with rear rack and panniers sometimes - training for my trip! Leave at about 7am / 5:30pm

White Cycling top with black pannier bag on the right hand side of your bike?

:thumbup:

Then you passed us on Thursday between Salt River bus station and town ... we "were a cruzin" ... black motto and a black/blue GT hartail