Front wheel wobble Cannondale CAAD8

joevan

After doing approx 5000km with this bike many of them fast downhills, a few months ago while going down Vissershok, as I reached 73km/hr the bike developed a severe front wheel wobble. This was so bad that I was all over the road, fortunately no other traffic around.

Managed to get it under control by clamping the top tube after seeing life flash before my eyes!

Very strong South East wind at the time, did not hit any bumps or potholes, it just started this scary wobble.

This has spoiled my experience riding this bike, and unfortunately I love the fast downhills!

Have checked over everything, wheels, tyres bearings, headset, frame, forks, and found nothing to give any clue why this happened.

However everytime i go down a hill now very nervous and worried that the incident will repeat itself, this spoils my fun!!!!!!

Any of you technical minded Hubbers got any ideas?

Edited by joevan

Sounds like a shimmy. Just google "high speed shimmy bicycle". Also threads here on the hub - speed wobble etc.